Shafz's NHB '02 EP3 Type R Build!

Shafzzz

Yeah I wanna get it mapped once I do manifold and stuff, but for now I'm sure my manifold has a leak so I'm not expecting more than stock power anyway, although I'd like that!

But I've been in a few cars recently that I want more than my EP3 so mapping is a big commitment.

They must be pretty special to want more than the EP3 dude! To me progress from mine would be a Skyline GTT or similar 8-)

Funny you should say that, my mates just picked up this and this is why I want to change..

GTRSpoiler_zpsm9xwovxu.jpg

GTRClocks_zps540oifxj.jpg

GTREP31_zpsvvxcezag.jpg

GTREP3_zpswo1c7w8q.jpg

GTRpickingmeup_zpsp7fxqfgy.jpg

That is a 1997 Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R V Spec Series 3. And it is the best car I've ever been in full stop. No questions asked. After going in it and spending a full day in it including going to a GT-R owners club meet I'm tempted to join the skyline lifestyle. Words cannot describe how much of a perfect machine this is, where if I get an R33 GTST or an R32 or 33 GT-R (33 GT-R isn't actually that much to insure), I want one before I turn 23 (so till March), coupled with going in @Sorivity S14 I really do miss lairy jap boost. If anyone wants a breakdown/mini review on the R33 I can write one up but it is absolutely stunning. The Nismo wheels on it alone are worth nearly as much as my car! I have like 40 pictures I've taken of it, this example is absolutely beautiful.

But yeah that's why I wanna change car, but I have a while longer to go with the EP3 yet! :)

I'd 100% change my car for a GTR no questions! I'm old so insurance is hardly going to be a problem. Running costs on the other hand may have a say in it while I'm teetering on the idea of moving out of my parents house :lol:

I can afford to insure an R33 GTR comfortably and running costs aren't actually as bad as you'd think was talking to my friend who doesn't use his daily anyway and it's no more expensive than a mid range BMW to run, as a note he's younger than me and can run it! It's when you chase massive power that it gets expensive but even with a stage 1 ~400bhp like his it's more than adequate enough! I'm toying with the idea of a 32 GTR but there were no UK spec ones like there was with the 33 so it's cheaper to insure the 33, plus although highly contested against the 33 is my favourite shape skyline!

Suppose it depends how you drive it too, with my commute currently minimal as far as driving (usually walk) goes fuel wouldn't be a worry really! 

His is still twin turbo and running baby power for a GTR (400ish) and he said it's not too bad on fuel especially on a run as it has really tall gearing but it's very very easy to come into boost and kill all hope of getting good economy.

What surprised me is it's actually more civilised than the EP3 believe it or not! It has climate control, it's very comfortable cause end of the day it is a GT car. It's refined and the RB26 is very very smooth and torquey and it's just a really smooth way of going fast. When it gets into boost though my God is it quick! I wouldn't be able to daily it but I'd happily go long distance in the R33 over say the EP3.

Aaand update! Ran at Santa Pod and Dynodaze this weekend, didn't manage to get a good time at Pod due to tyre limitations and exhaust leak, best time on slip was a lowly 15.5 at 92 but with a 2.5 60ft, whereas my other runs were a 2.3 60ft but also.. 15.5! I think I ran 15.5 four times in a row but the 15.5 with a 2.5 60ft would equate to a 15.1 with a 2.3 60ft so not bad!

Car made 196bhp/136lbft on the rollers, which with a manifold leak and dyno'd in a higher gear than it's supposed to (EP3s normally get dyno'd and tuned in 4th, mine was dyno'd in 5th) that's fairly bang on what it should be running, with a manifold leak anyway.

Now.. I've had the car a year pretty much and I think it's time to move on, whether I sell it and get something else after show season, or SORN it and get something else I'm not too sure. I've done the N/A Honda thing now and boost is calling me back especially after spending a fair amount of times in turbo Nissans now.

What to do...?