Shafz's NHB '02 EP3 Type R Build!

Shafzzz

Yeah I've read the same about the mid-range gains, even on a completely standard engine there's 30-40bhp to be had in the mid-range! I reckon with a manifold matched to the 3" cat-back you'll see a nice gain peak too! 

Yeah I should see decent gains but mines a 2.5" straight through as the 3" would hang too low for the insane speedbumps we have in London! I scrape the 2.5" as is and I'm only lowered 25mm :/

It'd be interesting to see how ours compare when done, 5.1 final and normal power vs 4.7 final and mapped, as I know a mapped EP3 with a 5.1 final kept up with a JRSC EP3 with a 4.7...

Yeah I should see decent gains but mines a 2.5" straight through as the 3" would hang too low for the insane speedbumps we have in London! I scrape the 2.5" as is and I'm only lowered 25mm :/

It'd be interesting to see how ours compare when done, 5.1 final and normal power vs 4.7 final and mapped, as I know a mapped EP3 with a 5.1 final kept up with a JRSC EP3 with a 4.7...

That's impressive if that's the case! Any idea of what other mods the mapped 5.1 was making?

• 3 weeks later...

Soo almost a month later, what's changed? Well I've ordered new wishbone bushes, only OEM as I'm not going down the poly route as this car is now going to get a lot of miles in it around town due to a new commute. I'm currently in talks with a friend about his buddyclub exhaust manifold that he's getting rid of and breaking his EP3 back to standard so hopefully that goes through then I have a good quality system, will have to change my front anti roll bar to a JDM spec one for it to clear the manifold though! 

The moment the exhaust manifold is sorted I'll be changing the intake to a less 'heatsoaky' one and then booking it in for mapping. Build slowly in winter, enjoy in spring is the plan!

• Like 1

Nice manifold mate, should look good and give some gains in performance too. Keep baggering your mate so you can get it quicker! lol

Thanks! Yeah I'll be pestering him as he wants to break his back to standard to sell it anyway, already giving me mates rates so I'm more than happy with the deal! The fact it's a good brand manifold too also puts me at ease a bit as I've ran cheaper manifolds on past cars and the quality has always been 50/50!

Yeah you'll need to map it ideally when you fit the manifold anyway. Will make good power though!

Yeah I've been thinking about getting the mappers to fit the manifold for me, or fitting it near their premises as I don't want to drive 20-30 odd miles at national speed limit in a car that's running really lean/rich and lumpy and cause damage to the engine/ECU I've spent so long wanting to get mapped up!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Yeah I'll be pestering him as he wants to break his back to standard to sell it anyway, already giving me mates rates so I'm more than happy with the deal! The fact it's a good brand manifold too also puts me at ease a bit as I've ran cheaper manifolds on past cars and the quality has always been 50/50!

Yeah I've been thinking about getting the mappers to fit the manifold for me, or fitting it near their premises as I don't want to drive 20-30 odd miles at national speed limit in a car that's running really lean/rich and lumpy and cause damage to the engine/ECU I've spent so long wanting to get mapped up!

That's fair enough, I read a project thread where just a full exhaust made about 230bhp 8-)

• Like 1

Well with my current mods of intake, straight through true 2.5" exhaust it definitely feels like it has more get up and go, especially compared to a friends standard EP3 I had a simulation test with, but I wanna try and get it dyno'd where I intend on getting it mapped (Eurospec) and get a proper before readout even though I know their dyno underreads, but if I get the whp figure it's easy to convert to bhp :) I'm guessing 210ish atm, and mates with similar power cars/cars that have similar power to weight seem to agree, but we'll see when the mapping happens!