Mtec Discs...again :(

burbleboy

On my previously owned MB6 i had mtec drilled and grooved discs. These cracked and after sending them back TWICE, yes twice, mtec then said i'd be better off with some other make as they coundn't guarantee they would not crack. Yes, i drove it like i stole it everywhere back then, but the discs were crap.

Now reading the forum it turns out that drilled are NOT the way to go. Understandabe now!

On my recent MB6 i went for mtec grooved and dimpled all round but the fronts have now got several small heat cracks on them. Now i know i have had one track day but they were slightly cracked before i took it on but have serious warping issues under heavy braking now.

I need front discs to withstand some abuse but mtec are not able to do the job of serious hooning once in a while.

My question is; what front discs do i now purchase?

Advice please

I went with just the grooved version of the Mtec discs because of what I've read about dimpled/drilled discs.

I had some Tarox grooved discs on my EK that seemed to work well, brother also used them on a 330bhp Pulsar too and drove that like you drive yours on a regular basis! Could be worth looking into?

Cheers for the fast feedback!

Ive heard stoptech are good discs but only list for DC2. My mate has a DC2 but only has 262mm front discs whilst on the later 98 DC2 has the 282mm same as the MB6 but its 5 stud.

I will look into Tarox but going by the name...there ££££££ :(

Tis a shame. Not had any problems with my mtecs. Still good as new 2 years on not even a lip on them. I have dimpled and grooved.

Your on the right lines. What about brembo disc? Not used them but surely they have a reputation to uphold.

Yeah Brembos would be good but i'm looking at a budget of around £150 for front discs (maybe should have mentioned that in my original post).

I'm thinking maybe standard discs and Ferodo 2500 pads?

I used plain old blue print blanks on my EK (b18c4 with mb6 front hubs) with hawk hp+ pads and it was awesome. They were about £150 for the pair.

Only thing worth considering mate is 1. Obv the MB's added weight and 2. Your breaking style. Are you allowing warming up and cooling down? Can be a common cause for cracking.

And maybe look at some brake ducts to allowing additional cooling?

• Like 1

Bummer.

Again I went for grooved mtec discs not dimpled/drilled.

The heat cracks were away from the dimples though. Thought that the dimples would have allowed the hot air to dissipate from the disc rather than having the heat on the surface of the disc?

I used plain old blue print blanks on my EK (b18c4 with mb6 front hubs) with hawk hp+ pads and it was awesome. They were about £150 for the pair.

Only thing worth considering mate is 1. Obv the MB's added weight and 2. Your breaking style. Are you allowing warming up and cooling down? Can be a common cause for cracking.

And maybe look at some brake ducts to allowing additional cooling?

I am going to buy some piping and direct to discs!

Warming up and cooling down on the track yes, we have a one lap warm up before everyone goes for it. Brakes should be warm on that lap. On the road its different....use em as we need em!

Yeah Brembos would be good but i'm looking at a budget of around £150 for front discs (maybe should have mentioned that in my original post).

I'm thinking maybe standard discs and Ferodo 2500 pads?

On the Civic Type R owners forum their 'guru' recommends standard discs, Ferodo 2500 pads, braided lines and the 5.1 brake fluid and says that set up is ideal and cheap for hooning and occasional track use. Reckons that unless you're on the track more than once a month it'll do you fine.