Track day brakes for a daily driven MB/MC

Dexter

I ordered a stopper for £32 of eBay. Seller bought and never fitted so brand new but opened. Good deal! I said I've stopped modding but as it's a track car, I need functional mods like stopper and discs.

I so ordered 12 grooved Black Diamond discs to replace me shafted Mtec ones! :)

Nice mate :D

Will be interested to hear your opinions on them

Good conversation here and lots of different ideas. Here's a small summary of the conversation in this topic and also http://civic5.com/forum/topic/9112-mtec-discsagain/, http://civic5.com/forum/topic/8853-recomended-pads-mb6/ and also experiences by Zuissi who used to race Time Attack with his MB6.

Track day brakes for a daily driven MB/MC

Brake pads: Proper pads are the most important thing. Opinions about different brands however are very varied, and not a single one stands out as the "ultimate" pad for MC/MB civics.

- Ferodo: recommended by many, but quick to wear out?

- Hawk: recommended by some

- EBC Green/Red/Yellow: mixed opinions

- Brembo: mixed opinions

- Nissin: mixed opinions

- Mintex: mixed opinions

- Tarox, Black Diamond, Axxis: rarely mentioned but recommended by their users

Brake discs: As long as they are in good condition, even stock discs will do just fine. Grooved, drilled etc. aren't really worth all the money unless you want the looks.

- Mtec: recommended by many, but also bad experiences with cracked/warped discs

- Black Diamond: recommended by some

- EBC Ultimax: recommended by a few

- Tarox: mixed opinions

- Mintex: mixed opinions

Brake fluid: Upgrade to atleast Dot 5.1. For racing fluids Motul RBF600 is recommended by many.

Brake lines: HEL braided lines are recommended if you go RBF600 (higher boiling point), with street fluids stock lines should be ok.

Brake stopper: Not used by many but those who have one highly recommend it.

What do you think, do you agree with how i summed it up? I did this mostly to set my mind straight about what i want for my own deck, but i might as well edit the first post of this topic with the above info, so that people searching the forum about the same subject can get a quick overview as soon as they open the topic.

• Like 2

Sounds like a good summary! Probably the most organised set of opinions/experiences to help you and hopefully others decide? I think a lot of it depends how you like your brakes to feel and act! :)

Sounds like a good summary! Probably the most organised set of opinions/experiences to help you and hopefully others decide? I think a lot of it depends how you like your brakes to feel and act! :)

Very true, you can't write a bible about the subject!

• Like 1

Let's bring this back up. I ended up buying slotted discs from Brake Depot, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Hel hoses, RBF600 fluid and a Tegiwa stopper. Needless to say there was quite a difference to stock and the feel was great on both street and track.

But in the end the pads were second to bare metal after 2 long and hard track days. Was kind of hoping they'd last better but maybe the next step would be proper race pads? Well decided anyway to try out the EBC route since it seems like such a big & proper company, but their Yellowstuff pads were down to less than 50% after a relatively light track day. They probably won't last another one so i'm once again checking out new options. Race pads would be nice but i'm a bit intimidated using them in the city.

I'm considering Stoptech Streets since they sell for a decent price, but other suggestions are welcome!

In my EK9 Turbo I ran ProjectMu HC+, Carbotec X10s and Ferrodo DS2500 in 3 years and 11 track days. I had Spoon Monoblock calipers, 5.1 fluid, Stopper and HEL Lines and ADL Blueprint discs. I came down from 135~ > 40~ with DS2500s and went to turn in brakes just failed, when I got back out gravel and back to pits the pads were charcoal. Great on roads, dire on a track where you're pushing them to limit. Went to Carbotecs and they were pretty great but SO SO LOUD and bite point on street was meh at best. HC+'s Were bought to try out, worked great at first! stopping bite was fantastic but after about 150 miles I was down to less than half the size of the original thickness... which is less than an average week commute for me which wasn't great especially when the pads £120+shipping from RHD Japan

Ended up settling on Endless CC43 "Circuit"  pads with the Endurance compound which lasted 12 months and 2 further track days, I rarely do town driving except shopping on a sunday with the girlfriend but they had no issues in traffic and got me out of a few sticky situations where I may have been going too fast on the way to work (lots of country lanes) and tractors and such have pulled out of gates, slammed anchors on and they (coupled with good tyres) helped me stop on a 10p.  :ph34r:

In 4 years the discs were only changed once when I fitted the Monoblocks otherwise they weren't  changed as they never needed to be, Tyres and brakes are the two things I check most often :)

One thing i've been curious about but haven't yet experimented with is how usable or in other words safe "track use only"-pads are on public roads. But it seems like according to your experiences that atleast some of them are daily driveable as well?

I've read lots of praising reviews about CL Brakes and am temped to buy their track pads...

• Like 1