1 hour ago, KiNK43 said:

Great news on the MOT.

What brand was the brace? Sounds bit poor 

Some random ebay job.. Thought it was worth a punt... 

To be honest, the brackets that mount to the seat belt fixings had 4 holes in, and I went for the furthest ones so the brace was out the way, tucked behind people's feet, which did mean more leverage to bend the brackets. The brace itself was stiff enough. 

Can always quickly chuck it in on the first holes if I was going to do a track day or something. The chassis is stiff enough for normal use tbh. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have working IABs again party.gif1

Did a bit of fault finding a couple of weeks back, and the Honda troubleshooting was pointing to the ecu. I tried fitting a replacement vacuum solenoid though, and that's done the trick 8-) even watched the arm move at high revs to double check it wasn't just placebo effect. 

Think that's been knacked for a while to be honest, at least since the transplant. Great to have the old girl working like it should again.

Celebrated with polishing the rocker cover, giving the engine bay a bit of a clean, and a quick wash. 

PXL_20230415_150741367.jpg

PXL_20230415_150751769.jpg

PXL_20230415_153722175.jpg

• Like 1

Haha, that's brilliant news! Vtec all the way to happiness! Is that the wee vtec solenoid that you replaced or am I thinking of something else? Think they have a wee filter in them too?

Tubs is looking awesome mate! Time I got my arse into gear and get DD back on the road!

13 hours ago, Dave said:

Haha, that's brilliant news! Vtec all the way to happiness! Is that the wee vtec solenoid that you replaced or am I thinking of something else? Think they have a wee filter in them too?

Tubs is looking awesome mate! Time I got my arse into gear and get DD back on the road!

No, it's a little fella that's fixed to the vacuum vessel under the intake manifold - it's what dumps the vacuum that normally holds the IABs closed to make them open

Driving it with them closed all the time, and then open all the time (with the vacuum hose disconnected) really shows how the iab system helps. When they're closed all the time, the power really drops off as the revs climb.. You're wanting to change gear by the time you reach 7k. When they're open all the time, there really is a loss of grunt before vtec is engaged.

I know that some of that will be because of the ecu not being set up for those conditions, but a big chunk will be because of the long/short air path in the IM. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Been a while since any updates, but not much to report really.. Mostly had a summer of enjoying the deck (apart from a few weeks touring Scotland in the accord). 

Yesterday I noticed that one of my rear calipers had started sticking a bit, so had a bit of an investigate. 

The piston looks immaculate and wound in and out easily, slider pins also look fine.. Regreased them as they seemed a bit gritty, but look spot on. Handbrake doesn't seem to be sticky, and moves the piston in and out okay. The pads had welded themselves to the caliper a bit, and one of them needed some filling in the edges to remove some rust build up and let them move freely in the shim thing, but other than that, couldn't see anything wrong. 

Still is binding a bit, not as bad, but not properly free... Anyone got any ideas? 

When I had her jacked up I had a spy underneath, and apart from being a bit dirty, still looks nice underneath. 

PXL_20230910_110143728.jpg

Also, this fell down when I was persuading the caliper off.. No idea where it came from, can't see one on the other side, and can't see where it would go or what it would do? 

PXL_20230910_131549067.jpg

It looks like it slides in a slot, and a bolt or something goes through it at right angles :ph34r:

• Like 1

Is that part plastic? Can't for the life of me remember seeing it on DD. Only thing I can think of is if you look between the rear crossmember and the back of the fuel tank, you'll see the wiring harness for the ABS. Pretty sure the pass side has a clip similar to that to hold it up?

• Like 1