MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

On 11/23/2017 at 12:05 PM, Krzys said:

Nice! Almost be a shame to get it all dirty but better than being a garage queen all its life!

Designed to get dirty.  Paint job was cheap but functional on the surface, and hard wearing on the inside and underneath.  She'll end up backwards in a gravel trap at some point.....

1 hour ago, DeLaSoul said:

Designed to get dirty.  Paint job was cheap but functional on the surface, and hard wearing on the inside and underneath.  She'll end up backwards in a gravel trap at some point.....

Be disappointed if not!

• Like 1

Quiet Sunday on the car, got a lot of little jobs done.

Completed the engine side of the loom, just leaves the ECU and dash loom to do

Dk-m235K2H6CC_b9GAMhNx-Hu3l3mXGSqGfD4MyN

Bought the proper crimping tool for this job, glad I did otherwise I'd still be there now trying to sort all those pins!  Every wire checked and rechecked, fitted and notes taken so I can build the other side!

Qsg1M1fDOEtek5SN6KSm-4_dCfOB-U2CV9JA44Zy

EO3wPf5zfC8VgScHEyHhM2X9awML6CF603F0lr17

x6939XEnkSlS3SdMN0gpsNWadgPYJx9KMhFCvXtZ

Got the carbon roof bung back.  Not happy with it to be honest - I needs a lot of work but I cut the edge off and test fitted it for now

iN5LHOsm-1vpbY5vZ6PTAH2rTGhUfwWVqsMl1xYG

Narrow gap to fill in with sealant.  Also going to secure it with some fixings but I'll need to make those when i get time.

Yt0BAlgff8C_1prJkEuaorma72VxsEnC4sZLGAYZ

One job I hated doing before was getting the bushes out of the front arms - had to do it again as I ended up giving one of my polybushed arms to my brother for his MB6.  Got a new arm and decided to clean up and powder coat both and put new bushes in - step 1 was drill/press the old ones out :(

UEjr0ynYxNFDrkSZPFFSoqYAepr3Ribga8YvwOXI

Started to add the buttons for the dash to the binnacle.  Messed up the holes in the carbon panel (too big) so will have to make another carbon plate but I'm happy with the fit and placement.  Need to make some labels but it's just 4 buttons on the right.  Left panel will be lights and wipers.

aW90ahHL-kO2oM89VQsOkZdEv4--ycQ3cTlzkN9u

8AzarnBFwqIr04AXgjtN-luCfJ3Grad4fhSXAdfy

Rebuilt the off side doors with everything bar the rubber seals.  Took a bit of working out as I didn't strip everything into bags like I did with the rest of the car but it went back together in the end.  Need some longer bolts to hold the perspex windows in as the ones I've got in there now are a little too short.  Easy fix so not worried right now. Got the roof bars on too.

Really do love the blue now it's being broken up by the black trims and parts

pAdDWgD8FLBlSPYdEWJfSd-GmyULl7WUZ2jMS21E

W-68oY__9y5BdWqhW6W75PwoNHxaiF0UDuX9K8mj

• Like 3

10 hours ago, noodels said:

Maybe rubber trim round roof panel & latches on inside for injector seat/escape route option :D

Nah, I don't plan on wanting to leave once I'm in that seat :lol:

More work over the last few days:

Stripped the front hubs to get them ready for shot blasting, powder coating and new bearings and ball joints

bnIW5Uisx4y1Yuw_aaLJdCewybtAOLnk91q67NnB

Also a good time to change out the wheel studs to the longer ARP ones so press out the old studs

VQ0N_jwfRhXb5Ca_VOgMWTaiHETE0eiuocHh_vQu

Get the inner race off the spindle

flkqkqe6jx9u5w_XHaUe_b3rjkAvYUUfNQQfLKSd

Press in the wheel studs - need to be 100% square in the spindle

z2QYTWk8J1X70fRh7oaO0iGH8EJsRpumKcOS1Fvh

Rear bearings already come in in the spindle, but still fitting the new studs

ytFkGNRVPaAK_68Z3T3qCa0ZhRRz3WhG3orj0drE

Front hub disassembled, ready for blasting

InH2NmfLvUklqktE_kVaOJRTOhlRGgxUDEb0lcfh

Rear hub also ready

VSnZ9E9bbFXZGFMcmFbhswqNnbgJpzLh4dncSXOx

Rear arm needs the bushing removed before it is also good to go

J2IOOqw9O2Zm1VV2sF3EiHDn_rjMnGvteREC2rkK

• Like 3

On 28/11/2017 at 8:30 PM, noodels said:

Maybe rubber trim round roof panel & latches on inside for injector seat/escape route option :D

Just ordered the correct carbon/metal glue so once the panel's been sanded and polished I can bond it in properly and hopefully it will stop the roof from flexing so much!

Rubber trim is not a bad idea if it was to fit a standard cars roof mechanism.....

Okay, before I begin, this is how I rebuilt my rear calipers and may not be exactly the same on all models.  Don't do any work like this if you are unsure what to do or are in a rush - seek professional help!  Do one side at a time so you have one side for reference, get everything ready in advance and take your time!  Tip: As you go, lay out the parts you take off in the order you removed them so it's easy to see the steps for the rebuild.

This guide of for a full rebuild - you may only want to replace the piston and dust seal in which case you won't need steps 7 & 8 you'll stop and rebuild around step 10.  I will do this in 2 parts, strip first and rebuild later.  

Tools:

• Large flat blade screwdriver
  • Small slat blade screwdriver
  • Bull nose pliers
  • Internal circlip remover (long nose)
  • 17mm spanner (or socket and ratchet)
  • Wire brush
  • Brake cleaner
  • Rags
  • Water

Step 1. Identify which rear caliper you have - you can do this on or off the car.  I did this by lifting off the caliper so I could measure the piston diameter and this helped me identify which rebuild kit to buy.  There are several from what I've found, mine are 30mm piston but some seem to be 34mm pistons.  Get the correct kit before stripping everything down!  There are several options - you get a caliper kit or a caliper and carrier kit.  You can even sometimes get a new pistons with all the new internals done, I've opted for a caliper rebuild kit as I have brand new carriers with pins and rubbers.

Step 2. Order the kit from your favorite retailer and wait for the postman......

Step 3. Layout everything and make sure before you begin to strip the caliper you have everything you need

ODlc0RJuSWRtGBzr6ixMsVqEKbBGtQYnWiywH1NF

Step 4.  Once you have the kit and have a few hours to spare - Remove the caliper (and carrier if you are doing that too) from the car - I'll assume that you can remove the handbrake cable, brake hose and 2 retaining bolts

JmKWAorTB8YBkKX0SkqlP21AKdbmd3SAP2df0b0l

Step 5. Check again, once you start this it's not easy to go back!

G4TVw2tP2s163T2JECY5pkioGdVoWMnnh9Z7WNI6

I have 2 pistons, 2 caliper rebuild sets and (by mistake) the carrier rebuild sets

Step 6. Clean up the caliper - you can do this a number of ways but I suggest plugging the brake hose fitting hole (little red cap in the pictures above) and wire brush up the caliper all around.  Doing this now with all the seals in place you don't have to worry about getting dirt inside the caliper itself as the seals are still intact.  I cleaned mine after the strip down and then had the pleasure of cleaning out the internals afterwards  

Step 7. Now the fun begins - hold the caliper securely and release the handbrake spring.  It's not under a lot of tension so it doesn't want to fly across room!

LePMrHZjCOkYtBlyvyMfVigWSx2ydqBITIZrDZPzCGwHIsKOMG_KWeExbDIPQzzKBMmYpAg896oAxzch8F7Ss_L9D5qeQnQJt-b9UDFaEu_OJ7hQSgsk5G4I

Step 8. Remove the handbrake nut - there is a lock washer underneath so be careful not to lose it.  This will then let you remove the handbrake lever arm.

ar3Vk85ODJJfyKSv_VTGQ3_X33qokUcWd9h82ADt

LP4JESldeiC5dlPfnczwH4fiLAfnVUtp9e-nCMeSLMeTQtWTHrncmnUdGVSONkM9mLnZt8w6WmChEOdD

OeyWfLfafDcGVPrHLTkjySChif4GodbkbxRDbSfzB-OFDoXspI2oftGHXNeqirhs0NFnbDtAIBcqwROC

Step 9. Turn the caliper around so you can remove the piston.  The piston unscrews from the body of the caliper.  I used the large flat blade screw driver for this, although there are proper tools for this job...

Note that when you released the piston, you may still have some brake fluid in there - it will want to go everywhere.  You can neutralize brake fluid with water (It will strip paint if left otherwise!)

P51XQZW4NtRvbBtzVtVbh0zOTInx61dqDj_6Wgn4o6ZllGqjxQtMtbuTSP79adrBBWZ3PQ5S9-h-5K6O

vMpBPRnQZDPQK-48PIm_iV52tCWDPfvDGQB8Qe2OZx6xiNuX88GXukvCFZOVTSGCXXzRP7RN9KDDL0lQ

Step 10. Remove the dust seal - mine was broken but it came out easily with the small screwdriver

96VGCmnjq4QejJV1etwQFGYVvzp1Wn7Mdq6vR7jB6miLH6TcSvY3rQz9XZ6wxXBcZLEwcg7o2FhCypDD

Step 11.  Remove piston seal part way down the caliper barrel.  If you don’t get this out then you can't get the next parts out in step 14

2tPQJxolHIqme6SuMUxZRfhX4UT3ZwcAS57RjqaYUo642I0oxr-eC_q9eTHSdj-dHRWjOpb6vhHrv25f

Step 12.  Remove internal circlip holding the self adjusting handbrake mechanism in place.  Not easy to photograph but if you look down in the caliper you'll see the circlip that holds everything else in place.  It took a bit of fiddling but wasn't impossible

Qx3aSufrel6l7gbsKRrJkwoI5EtwzCUg32H9fT6J-BLu1GtsgNZ3BVEsb7uAGqC8NRnbDNQvahnf5Dc2

Step 13. Remove the top hat, spring, washer and bearing.  It will fall out now the circlip is removed.   Note the order they came out in! Tip- if you have a bolt and some washers you can assemble the bits in order and store them until needed

LmsrMkXoyEJnRf3vEM63a-4IfVGup961eQAj-4Qj

0iqelzgJHMI6H7S9XgBjq0tN-idBiWDwgo5HKxkI

Step 14. Remove the spindle.  This will just pull out, leaving the last 2 pieces of the handbrake mechanism behind.  If you're lucky, they may come out with the spindle, otherwise you can turn the caliper over and give it a light tap to remove.  Be careful not to lose the pin underneath the piston

vdWjhZlBMbwjKEtKis9oNtKKQdW60o7pIfPguqZsinGmuZv8vxwcsxyec3fyJtAKOfZbDUBT5qPQ4mkk

LZD-MX1AjEofJSXhqA29h8T1JxMc8Yu6yl3MHy7tXo6dG2Bimze6uwXyZBIngkHa9lk--sQWbHhDfK4s

Step 15. Remove the handbrake pin - This was held in place by the parts removed in step 14, so will now pull straight out of the caliper.  Note which way round the hole in the pin faces!

sJYFqhlg_CRnf9oHb_hwSgCLrTcpmB7mZoon3sYq4N5o8JZ-13jBHDKnuw2XqNzYLRQUk-NqN6SojYUk

QDDtrCyWPIVLCJJnKgLT2YLBwgiZfrjM-sE6pD2q

Okay, I'll stop here for now and finish when I start to replace all the seals.  You now have a stripped caliper, ready for rebuild or painting.  This isn't the easiest of jobs and I can understand why companies charge so much to do this work!

Edited by DeLaSoul
Spelling
  • Like 4