MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Okay, actually did some work on the car over the weekend :geek:

Primed and resanded the binnacle again

ProShot_20160610_203558.jpg

and added the Honda logo to the top.  Not sure how this will come out in the mould but nothing ventured....

ProShot_20160611_144107.jpg

ProShot_20160611_144533.jpg

ProShot_20160612_092049.jpg

ProShot_20160612_092118.jpg

ProShot_20160612_110004.jpg

ProShot_20160612_110014.jpg

Even better with the correct steering wheel!

ProShot_20160612_111653.jpg

ProShot_20160612_111658.jpg

ProShot_20160612_111727.jpg

This is now ready for polishing and moulding so I bolted it to the dashboard mould tool and will continue to work on it from there.

Centre console also saw some attention with another sanding, repriming and painting.  I then mounted it on a backing board ready for polishing and moulding...

1465587654939.jpg

ProShot_20160612_115817.jpg

ProShot_20160612_163104.jpg

Edited by DeLaSoul
muppet
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Quick update - mould tools are done (which took a bit of work as the paint reacted with the gel coat despite 10 coats for wax and 2 coats of release agent!)

ProShot_20160705_191325.jpg

Bolted the binnacle back to the dash mould, built a skirt for the split mould and started one side off with gelcoat, the centre console was mounted to a back board and gelcoat applied.

ProShot_20160705_191823.jpg

A layer of blue vinyl under the moulding area just in case!!!

ProShot_20160715_193036.jpg

Fibre glass build up, 4-6 layers 

ProShot_20160715_193044.jpg

Not the neatest job but functional.....

Pulled the top of the instrument binnacle off, was actually a really good pull!!!

ProShot_20160716_093050.jpg

Texture on the surface is where the gelcoat and paint reacted, I sanded most of it off but I actually quite like it.  It's going to be flocked anyway so it doesn't matter too much

IMG_20160716_123713.jpg

Centre console tool, some cleanup needed but again I'm pleased with the result for a relatively complex part (well complex for the second ever attempt at this stuff!)

Clean up in bottom of the instrument binnacle needed!!!

IMG_20160716_123726.jpg

Didn't take too long, just a pain.  I had to cut 2 holes in the front to hammer out part of the tool (I can fill later)  Just a few hours of work and it was nice and shiny again.

Test fit and bolt together to make sure it was okay before the final clean up

ProShot_20160716_130527.jpg

Okay, so I started on the centre console mould and laid down a s few layers of 200gsm carbon as a test using a laminating resin (as I was told this would be a solid alternative to resin infusion and would still give a light, strong part).  First attempt didn't go quite to plan but I learned a lot from it, mostly I need to vacuum bag the part and use a lighter first stage of carbon (apparently)!  At least I didn't go too far with it or do the binnacle before I found the issues

ProShot_20160718_191149.jpgProShot_20160718_191154.jpg

Shape is there, and some of the detail, it's just not stuck down to the mould in a few areas and that could be a few things, but mainly the fact it wasn't vacuum bagged.  Onward and upward though now I know!  I feel a trip to Asda and some cheap vacuum storage bags coming on.......

• Like 2

Thanks guys, although I was initially annoyed that the first pull off the centre console mould didn't go to plan I've learnt from it.  Picked up some cheap vacuum bags from Asda and tried them over the mould tool last night and the concept works - just need better quality seals.  I've been offered the use of a proper vacuum pump as well so second time lucky hopefully!

ProShot_20160719_220752.jpg

This is without properly positioning the bag, just put it in and suck (lol) so I can smooth it all out on the final attempt.  The laminating resin has a 24hr flash time so I have time to work and position everything.

Also forgot a few new bits arrived a few weeks back, more shiny goodness for the engine bay.....

20160703_083653.jpg

IMG_20160703_124031.jpg

It's looking like an engine again!!!

Also have the new lightweight Competition Clutch flywheel and 6 puck stage 4 clutch & cover plate in my grubby little hands with the:

• AEM v2 ECU with COP configured
  • Skunk2 Ultra stage 2 cams
  • Skunk2 cam pulleys
  • Skunk2 Pro series valve springs
  • LMA's
  • Valve guides
  • Valve stem oil seals
  • Oil pump
  • Collets
  • Skunk2 retainers
  • Fluidamper bottom pulley
  • Gearbox syncros, bearings, seals
  • Catch can
  • AN10 cam cover fittings
  • Wideband lambda sensor and gauge

All ordered and on route so that's the engine bay complete bar the exhaust system and plumbing in the electro hydraulic power steering.  Once it's all here the engine will be pulled, head flowed and ported and the everything dynamically balanced and put together.  The block needs the head guard fitted and rehoning but that will all be done at the same time.  Still considering switching to an electric water pump but will wait and see what monies are left after the above it put together.  It's getting exciting!!!!!!  

Chassis wise, I need to mount the intercoolers for the oil and power steering (weld on brackets) and adapt the radiator mounts to suit the bigger rad. I'm doing a false floor on the passenger side to match the drivers side and it can then go to media blast and paint.  I have a new rear quarter and tail light to go on.

After all of that, the jobs left are - 

• Extend front arches (wheels/tyres don't fit) or fit narrower tyres :(
  • Side skirts - fit originals or do something a bit different.......... :)
  • Engine loom
  • Carbon interior parts
  • Plumb in fire extinguisher
  • Build fuse panel for dashboard
  • Ducting for heater system
  • Run brake/clutch lines
  • Buy injectors

It's been a bloody long build but I've got 98% of the parts now so and dry built everything on the chassis so I know it all fits.  I'll almost be too scared to drive it!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chandler said:

damn them bodies are lush! i really wana order mine. but gotta wait for the plastic card to come through 

You're welcome to come and see the car when I'm about, I've just had to send one of the bodies back as they've fitted the throttle arm on the wrong way and it hits the filter back plate.

29 minutes ago, DeLaSoul said:

You're welcome to come and see the car when I'm about, I've just had to send one of the bodies back as they've fitted the throttle arm on the wrong way and it hits the filter back plate.

yes mate i can come and bash one off over the car ;) 

• Like 2