Meet Roxy! Daves Honda Civic TypeR FN2 (UPDATE: Roxy waving goodbye to Civic5)

Dave

Im yet to use a body shop for any car ive owned.. And Dave, your horror story isn't the only one that I've heard ! Im reasonably good with a spray gun, did the EK outside with one and it came through alright TBF. But don't have the facilities to do a whole gloss car.. Time will tell I suppose as I want to start having some bits sprayed up next year .. Hopefully she'll be back tonight looking spick n span mate !

I've seen loads of people who've done matte black, probably isn't one you can get wrong without doing it on purpose :lol:

• Like 1

The thing I've noticed with both of these places is the guys are old school who want to do the work properly!  

See thats the key! There are hardly any old school spray painters left now, and most are the kind who because the car isn't theirs, they don't actually care that much how it turns out. Old school sprayers tend to take a pride in their work, almost as if it's a work of art and they're putting their name to it. So they take care (and time) on all aspects of the job, from the initial preperation work, to the masking it up properly, to the final painting.

• Like 3

I used to use a body shop that i thought was sound, until some things started coming to light, like paint flaking off at the jet wash, and when I went to replace the headlight washer which fell off, i found out why... They'd cut the pipe to it (mustn't have been able to get it off) and stuck a bolt in the end so our didn't leak!

Cowboys.

From different repairs as well.

Haven't / won't be going back.

Even if I just get the deck done I'll be happy! It's only going to be a small outfit if we get the go ahead. But being smaller means I can take my time doing the cars and means they will turn out sweet.

• Like 1

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dave tbh ...

As much as I agree with a lot of the good sprayers being of the old school, so many of these body shops, approved ones in particular, have such a lot of pressure and time constraints on them that a lot of the time work suffers ..

This is not at all getting away from the fact that there is an awful lot of cowboys out there too ! Its just a mine field and I think if you find a single decent bloke, hold onto him with two hands !

So, if I rub here down, drive up to you (looking slightly odd) for a long weekend, you can spray away ;-)

• Like 1

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dave tbh ...

As much as I agree with a lot of the good sprayers being of the old school, so many of these body shops, approved ones in particular, have such a lot of pressure and time constraints on them that a lot of the time work suffers ..

This is not at all getting away from the fact that there is an awful lot of cowboys out there too ! Its just a mine field and I think if you find a single decent bloke, hold onto him with two hands !

So, if I rub here down, drive up to you (looking slightly odd) for a long weekend, you can spray away :wink:

Now that sounds doable mate! Although would prefer potential customers to have seen the deck first or another car that I've done before travelling all that way lol

• Dave unpinned this topic