MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

That's fair enough mate I don't blame you saving money, wiring like that scares the bejeezus out of me though. :smile:

Don't look at the next lot of photos then!

The loom into the engine bay is essentially in 4 main parts as I see it:

Power (to and from the main fuse box and back into the cabin)

Engine (Injectors, distributor, sensors etc)

ABS

Chassis (lights, horn, AC, windscreen wiper)

To hide it I want to split it into its core parts and re-route it, and at the same time remove what I no longer need.  I've already pulled the entire loom out of the car but kept it intact until now so first job was to place it back in the chassis and start one piece at a time.

OS Leg:

This holds the main ABS wiring, OS Lights, horn, fan and some engine functions.  Plugs in the cabin for this section of loom are colour coded as follows:

Orange - ABS

White - Engine

Brown - Chassis

Plugs from the cabin are at the top of the picture, I started by laying the harness roughly in place.  I couldn't put it back if I wanted to as the roll cage goes straight through the original hole in the bulkhead!!!

IMG_20130620_120250.jpg

Next I started stripping all the tape and tubing from the loom.  Boring stuff but keep track of any junctions.  I put a small piece of white electrical tape around each one and labeled EVERY plug no matter how obvious it was.

IMG_20130620_120810.jpg

Once it was all uncovered, I separated the 3 main functions of this piece of the loom.  This side is easiest as it doesn't have the Power part of the loom.  To get to the stage below, I've cut 1 wire and removed the rubber boot from the loom.  I can't use the boot but if you want to keep the ABS then I suggest taking a bit more time and use this for the ABS wiring.

IMG_20130620_130542.jpg

I had to cut an earth lead from the master cylinder level warning float (Engine wiring) and the main earth lead (Chassis Wiring).  Simples :smile: 

I'm going to run the wires inside the wing, so off with the wing and look for wiring options.  Pretty easy really!!  Few bolts and the wing is off.

IMG_20130620_114823.jpg

I want to run the wires from the Door wiring hole up the wing for the Chassis wiring, and feed the windscreen wiper plug through the drain hole up the the wiper motor.

IMG_20130620_131230.jpg

Plug for the wiper motor get stuck so I won't route this for now.  I need to remove the wires from the plug and re-connect once the wires are in place.  This will be a way off yet as I'm just routing wires for test fit for now.

At the other end, I used a hole in the inner wing skin to get the plug through for the headlight and fan.

IMG_20130620_131304.jpg

The headlight plug won't fit with the wing bracket in place so remove the bracket for now.

IMG_20130620_130435.jpg

Going this route so far I've cut 1 wire and managed to use the original earth point inside the wing.

IMG_20130620_131251.jpg

Okay, now I'm happy with the wiring route, plugs reach and I can work with this I need to re-cover the wires for protection, fix them inside the wing and make sure they don't rub through where they pass through a bulkhead.  No photos of this just yet but I plan to use the original boot that covers the door wiring for this.  The boot is in 2 parts so if you want to keep the door functions (I don't) you can unwrap the tape and pass the wires through it.  This is the point where I start cutting wires!!!  My ABS is not going back but as I said before I would use the original bulkhead grommet for this one.  The engine loom is going to a new MIL spec connector so I'm leaving this until last.  Not ready for any of that yet so onto the other side.

• Like 2

Next step, NS Leg!

This one is a bit more tricky as there is a fuse box to deal with.  I have relocated my battery so this probably makes my job more of a nightmare but I like a challenge  :twisted:

Same again, lay out the harness and replace the fuse box

IMG_20130620_120247.jpg

I get to ditch the ABS power box and AC wiring.  The ABS power wiring are some of the biggest in the loom so will save me some space in the loom.

I think most people will end up with the power box still in place like below which still looks tidy.  Not for me though, bit more work than that!

IMG_20130620_112624.jpg

This side of the loom is not quite as easy as it plugs into the ECU on the inside.  I had to strip everything off, and then got carried away and did ALL the dashboard wiring in the process :roll:

IMG_20130620_163447.jpg

This did allow me to remove the ABS wiring back to the ECU, AC wiring back to the ECU and pull out the engine and chassis wiring.  I now also have the fuse box inside the car but will have to do some creative wiring to get power from the battery.

What I have now though is the same as the OS Leg

IMG_20130620_213223.jpg

IMG_20130620_213228.jpg

Next will be the engine loom and tidy the living breathing medusa that the wiring loom in the cabin has become!  All this so far took about 4 hours so not too bad.  It has a long way to go but I'm pleased with the progress.

• Like 1

4 hours, you must have done this before lol. Good time, i don't think i would have the patients but then if you get a good run i guess it helps!

Nope, but I've lost track of the stereos and alarms I did in my younger days when I worked in a garage.  Solving electrical problems like this actually calms me down after a crap day at work.  Sad really lol.

IMG_20130620_163447.jpg

Oh dear, this makes me dizzy. eekout.gif1

It'll all go back in to make a nice clean job.........I hope!

do i cut the red wire or the blue wire banghead.gif1rlol.gif1

Cut a few more than that so far.  

ABS

AC

Alarm

Electric Windows

Power Mirrors

Central Locking

All gone  :smile: Loom to the back of the car looks WAY smaller and I've managed to shorten it in places too.  Big box of cabling gone so far.

Been off work for a week with a bruised bone in my foot so can't walk but I'll upload the photos when I can, but I've managed to to power up the rear of the car and it works without burning down the garage  :twisted: