MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

That cabling looks scary. :o

Pedal box looks good, it is quite a bit further back though.

Pedals are about 4"-5" further back than stock, but when they do the cage they will position the seat to match the pedals and then adjust the column. Should be okay but it is way back from original.

bolt the tailgate shut might return some results,from inside and bolt it shut somehow :idea:

Not sure on this. I was planning on moving the fuel tank long term so I would need to get access to if through the tailgate. I can look at this long term though.

you will need to extend the steering wheel to match the pedals yea?

Yes, something that is easily done. Might have to go for a "fixed" column and extend the shaft. Worst case I use a long steering wheel boss.

OK im going in with the stupid question crazy.gif1 i gather the end goal of this carnage is going to be a full on track day car?

is all this work costing a bomb or is it quite reasonable also with you reducing the weigh quite so drastically is it going to effect the handling of the car?

some WACK11111 questions but its been bugging me for a few weeks looking through your post seeing so much carnage wondering whats the end goal!

OK im going in with the stupid question crazy.gif1 i gather the end goal of this carnage is going to be a full on track day car?

is all this work costing a bomb or is it quite reasonable also with you reducing the weigh quite so drastically is it going to effect the handling of the car?

some WACK11111 questions but its been bugging me for a few weeks looking through your post seeing so much carnage wondering whats the end goal!

Not a stupid question, but it is one I hear all the time. End goal is track day car/sleeper. Main idea to go this far with it was after my trip to the Nurburgring last year. So funny that a reasonably well sorted Civic was able to take on M3's in the twisty stuff, it did give me a good laugh. Above all else though I want the car to be 150% safe!

I've done 95% of the work myself so it hasn't been as bad as people think to do, and I've spaced it all out over the last 2 years. I was lucky in that my dad was involved with every local main dealer, big garage and motorfactor in the area so I've done well on most parts - the rest has been through luck and doing deals where possible. 8-) Real costs however are to come, as the roll cage and decent seats/harness are expensive. Once they go in, the interior will be resprayed matt black and the car project will be "parked" until next March/April.

This isn't my first project of this type, but it is the furthest I've ever gone with a car. I did a Toyota ST162 Celica 12-15 years ago, full suspension, brakes and decent engine build and a Mazda FC3S RX-7 6-8 years ago which was bare shelled and roll caged. Okay, the RX-7 never hit the road as I had to move house/job at the time and I had nowhere to work on the car so it went. Scary part is that the RX went right around this stage of the project where I am with the Civic cry.gif1

Image%2528034%2529.jpg

Image%2528036%2529.jpg

Image%2528044%2529.jpg

DSC00382.JPG

This one is going to turn out better, and get back on the road!!!!

WOW 1st M with a pedal conversion! 1"£££$££"!! 1"£££$££"!! 1"£££$££"!!

And so far my biggest nightmare. People I've spoken to have been either been very much for or dead against pedal boxes. No one in between and it scares me a little. I think that it's down to personal driving style and in some cases experience. I know that if I get the balance of the brakes and the setup wrong I could end up spinning off the track into a tyre wall so I will be taking a silly amount of time to get this part right badidea.gif1