MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

It sounds ideal, once you go much over 200bhp you start needing more complex diffs etc. and with the weight loss and chassis strengthening you've done it should be quite a track weapon. :)

• Like 1

I would say 200bhp would be enough too with the set up you're doing!

I was told the compression would be bad if it was a straight bolt on job of the C6 head but being as you're getting the pistons etc changed you'll probably be fine!

Wow, thats a pretty extensive bottom end build for NA !!

I agree, its the internals that are different i think, the actual cast of the block is the same..

Cannot wait to see this in the metal  ...

It's like everything else on the car, built for worst case and it lets you relax as you know it'll be pretty much bullet proof.  I had the guys building my engine around the house last night with the hoist to get the block out and they just can't believe the size and quality of the roll cage as it's bigger and stronger than a lot of the race cars they work on, but I want to be able to walk away from a big shunt if the worst ever occurs.

It sounds ideal, once you go much over 200bhp you start needing more complex diffs etc. and with the weight loss and chassis strengthening you've done it should be quite a track weapon. :)

Yeap, I think the LSD will struggle with much more power on track, but I'll change all the syncro's out and clutch to be safe.  The car was lowered 2" when it was geo'd to go to the Nurburgring, and now with the interior and glass removed but the cage, engine and seat back in it was 2" above stock ride height.  With the engine out you could park a bus in the front arches!  The weight reduction and chassis stiffness will make a massive difference, and I did toy with the idea of keeping the engine completely stock but I want security and a little more power won't hurt  ;)

I would say 200bhp would be enough too with the set up you're doing!

I was told the compression would be bad if it was a straight bolt on job of the C6 head but being as you're getting the pistons etc changed you'll probably be fine!

The difference in the C4 and C6 compression ratio is quite a lot which is why the C4 is a better engine to strap a turbo to as it's lower to start with.  I have seen pistons sets to take the car to 12.5:1 compression but I have been warned that this will be a crappy engine to drive normally, will only run on premium unleaded (which it will anyway but....) and be more stress on the components.  The slightly lower 11.5:1 will be easier to setup and more forgiving.

Edited by DeLaSoul

It's like everything else on the car, built for worst case and it lets you relax as you know it'll be pretty much bullet proof.  I had the guys building my engine around the house last night with the hoist to get the block out and they just can't believe the size and quality of the roll cage as it's bigger and stronger than a lot of the race cars they work on, but I want to be able to walk away from a big shut if the worst ever occurs.

Yeap, I think the LSD will struggle with much more power on track, but I'll change all the syncro's out and clutch to be safe.  The car was lowered 2" when it was geo'd to go to the Nurburgring, and now with the interior and glass removed but the cage, engine and seat back in it was 2" above stock ride height.  With the engine out you could park a bus in the front arches!  The weight reduction and chassis stiffness will make a massive difference, and I did toy with the idea of keeping the engine completely stock but I want security and a little more power won't hurt  ;)

The difference in the C4 and C6 compression ratio is quite a lot which is why the C4 is a better engine to strap a turbo to as it's lower to start with.  I have seen pistons sets to take the car to 12.5:1 compression but I have been warned that this will be a crappy engine to drive normally, will only run on premium unleaded (which it will anyway but....) and be more stress on the components.  The slightly lower 11.5:1 will be easier to setup and more forgiving.

I can imagine how high she's sat! :lol:

It's better to go over the top with safety than to wish you had! :)

I don't fully understand how the compression works/affects the way the engine works but I would much prefer to have a bit of leeway and be able to drive it to and from a track (if it's not a daily) and also there could be the odd occasion where you can't get the high octane fuel, you don't want to end up stuck somewhere because you can't bung a splash of 95 in to get you out of the sh1t!  

• Like 1

Will be interesting to know the final kerb weight once you've built her back up.

Comprestion ratios is a complex area but basically the B18C6's, K20's etc etc have quite a high CR ..

Turbo cars, normally stick with a lower CR becuase it allows a densor air fuel ratio ..

• Like 1

Will be interesting to know the final kerb weight once you've built her back up.

Comprestion ratios is a complex area but basically the B18C6's, K20's etc etc have quite a high CR ..

Turbo cars, normally stick with a lower CR becuase it allows a densor air fuel ratio ..

What he said

• Like 2

Okay, bank balance rinsed :(

ARP head, mains, flywheel, clutch plate and bottom pulley bolts ordered

Gates Racing Timing belt, water pump and tensioner pulley ordered

Golden Eagle Block guard ordered

ACL main bearings and shims

Looking for pistons and rods and a gasket set next to complete, but no takeaways for me for the next few months

• Like 3

Wallet feeling sore I bet! 

Have you got any ideas what pistons and rods you'll be getting? I heard BC are good?

Not sure, looking at either JE or BC pistons and same for rods but haven't decided.  No real rush as I can't afford them at the moment anyway!  I'm in America at the end of June for a week so IF I can get a day away I'll go shopping ;)