MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Mate that's mental but probably so rewarding as you'll know what part of the loom you're looking at should you need to trace any cables back. Not that you would given the work that's going into this! Least you'll know it's all decent!

Bloody hell mate .. Atention to detail is seccond to none !!!

Not much else to do in Swindon other than go to the gym and work on the car  rlol.gif1

Mate that's mental but probably so rewarding as you'll know what part of the loom you're looking at should you need to trace any cables back. Not that you would given the work that's going into this! Least you'll know it's all decent!

I can't weld and my metal fabrication skills are sketchy at best, but I do like wiring.  My dash loom wasn't great but this new direction for the wiring will make life easier in the long run and so much cleaner!!!

love to see this thread pop up in the updates list - always cool stuff going on 8-)

Cheers.  Just wish I had more time on the car, really want to get this into paint by Jan 2015 and assembled for next summer!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not really an update, just test fitting some stuff on the chassis.  Wheels and tyres arrived a little while back, got an awesome deal on 6 Buddy Club P1 wheels and some 225/45 R16 Toyo R888 GG tyres so jumped on it.  Wasn't 100% sure that these wheels would clear the callipers but was assured they would. To be sure (to be sure), I assembled up one of the 5 stud hubs front and rear and put them on the car and initially everything looked good, until I went to spin the wheel and the spokes hit the calliper :(

Might not be clear on the photo but there is about 0.5mm between the calliper and the back of the spokes and the spoke curves around to fit in the middle of the pistons so it can't turn cry.gif1 

20141123_215320.jpg

Tried to re-shim the calliper on the mounts but it was already in the middle of the disc so no where to go there

20141123_212911.jpg

Last option is to fit spacers.  Only needed 5mm to clear but I hate spacers, especially as I was told it would fit

20141123_212548.jpg

Okay, so they now clear the calliper, so refit the wing and......

20141123_215928.jpg

Damn things stick out about 10mm at normal ride height.  Looks worse in the photo as the suspension is a full travel but it's another issue to sort!  To be fair, if I was running the normal 205/45 R16 tyres they would go under the arches no problem at the front but hey ho, too late now!

On to the rear, similar issues...

20141126_210202.jpg

At ride height (well simulated by removing the shock absorber) the tyre will catch the arch, but at least the wheel clears the bigger brake setup

20141126_210112.jpg

So the rear arches will have to be pulled too if I want to stick with the wider tyres.

Finally, a chance advert on another site for a car rotisserie caught my eye so I jumped on it.  Went down on Saturday to collect it, next job it to fit it to the chassis but it looks good so far, only minor mods to make it go as it was designed for a DC2/EG

20141206_150014_HDR.jpg

Only just fitted in the back of my 4x4!

Slowly onward....... WACK11111

Ahhh spacers :( :( I hate them too .. Only had 5mm on mine when I put the dc2 wheels on and could feel them vibrating :(  if you have to run them, I would suggest to get hubcentric ones ..

Bit naff of the sellers to "assure" they fit ..

I say that rotisserie too ! Nice !

Shame about needing to space out to fit them over the calipers, I'd be showing those photos to whomever said the wheels would clear!

I did call them, they claimed I never mentioned the brake upgrade but they told me how to setup the brake bias!  Never mind, live a learn.

Ahhh spacers :( :( I hate them too .. Only had 5mm on mine when I put the dc2 wheels on and could feel them vibrating :(  if you have to run them, I would suggest to get hubcentric ones ..

Bit naff of the sellers to "assure" they fit ..

I say that rotisserie too ! Nice !

Found some H&R hubcentric ones and longer wheel studs which I'll order up at some point.  Got new wheel bearings for front and rear to fit so that'll be the time to do it all.

Rotisserie needs a little fettling to fit the deck, and it's very tall so the chassis is up nice and high to work on, not sure what the painter will think though!