MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Cheers mate.

Head is now off and engine being pulled in the next few days. Just bought a new head and cams plus a socketed P30 ECU so I can map the engine once it's all back in.

Managed to strip the last of the wiring loom today and mock up the interior ready for re-wiring. I'll post pics in the week but pleased so far.

Progress :-) nice

this is one awesome deck, if it's done, will it be doing japfest?

2015? Maybe lol. It's still a way off yet as it needs all the brackets welding in and the shell stripping and painting

• Like 1

Okay, proper update:

Started on the loom (spaghetti junction) again.  So this:

IMG_20140518_154540.jpg

was dragged indoors and laid out

DSC_0090.JPG

with all the components.

All the relays, plugs and components were mapped and cut out of the loom (checking everything against the Honda wiring diagrams -  :civic5rocks3: )

DSC_0091.JPG

Leaving another mess of wires to be cleaned up

DSC_0092.JPG

Leaving the dash with just the wiring to the switches attached and the separated plugs to the engine.

DSC_0093.JPG

With the nice "clean" interior, everything was put in place ready to be re-connected.  Cardboard templates were made for all the brackets needed to hold everything in place.  These will be taken out and made in aluminium when I get time (few months away then!).  Main fuse blocks are now in the middle of the car to shorten the cable runs, so I need to only run one wire from the battery to the black fuse box.  I also mocked up the brake bias lever (yellow handle next to the handbrake)

DSC_0096.JPG

Everything is labelled up with my favourite tool!  New mini heater matrix is in place - small fraction of the weight of the original but should be enough to keep my feet warm.  It's directly below the original screen vents so I can duct it to blow up the middle of the screen if required.

DSC_0099.JPG

And the plugs labelled with the heat-shrink function of my printer :)

IMG_20140526_130945.jpg

Battery in place

DSC_0108.JPG

And high flow fuel filter (metal element type) also in place ready for fuel lines and mounting bolts

DSC_0109.JPG

Time to pull the head off

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Pistons relatively clean, bores still have the honing marks so the original block still good

DSC_0013.JPG

Original P72 head next to the PR3 head and ITR cams

DSC_0008.JPG

Exhaust side is the same, intake and cam profiles are quite a bit different.  Head gaskets and pulleys are identical so they will swap cleanly.  I couldn't photograph it but the ITR head has double valve springs vs the P72 head single (MORE REVS!!!!)  

• Like 1