MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Like the ingenuity there! Shame the new gauge didn't have a red/orange needle! Great stuff though! 8-)

Funny I thought the same thing but I wasn't about to crack open the new gauge and paint the needle. I pushed my luck doing what I did without messing it up!

Ha love it mate .. Thats a great little idea rather than having an additinoal one stuck on the dash somewhere!

Rad looks huge! Should certianly keep her cool !

Oil cooler has now arrived so need to fit that in somewhere behind the bumper. Don't think I'll have any overheating issues on track with a triple core double width unit!

• Like 1

Guest jimbob738

Massive respect for what your doing here mate, slightly envious of you I would love to do a major strip down on an MC2 but I have no Driveway, that might change in the future though if I get my a55 ion gear and move.

Cool stuff always enjoy reading your build thread.

• 1 month later...

Okay, that time of year again.....an update!

After deciding that I should wait for all the brackets and mounts for the chassis to turn up before I go too mad on routing pipes etc, I decided to get back to what I can do, the electrics.  I found a site in the US that sells the majority of the engine plugs and ordered a set for a stock engine.  Knowing I most probably not need most of the intake plugs, I thought it best just to have them in case rather than place a second order (postage, import etc etc.)

20140917_115651.jpg

only one missing was the alternator, which is a stock Denso plug and that was easy to find in the UK.  I later found out how to strip the plugs and that 90% come from the same company and use the same pins!!!!  I now have a source for just the pins & seals (wish I'd found that sooner so I didn't order $100 worth of pins and plugs, never mind  cry.gif1 )

On to the loom.  Working from the back to the front, started with the longest run first.  This meant going up into the tail gate for the number plate light, high level brake light and then to the tail lights.  I'm using all the old plugs but with new wire, pins and seals (where needed)  Sorry for some of the crap pics, was in bit of a rush!

20140928_145431.jpg

Number plate light wiring, runs down the inside of the rear window...

20140928_145437.jpg

High level brake light, waiting for the plug.....

20140928_145440.jpg

Wiring to the fuel cell.  This will have a new MIL-spec plug and socket so I can remove it quickly if needed.

20140928_145446.jpg

Across to the NS tail light

20140928_145448.jpg

Etc. etc.  This lot meets up with the OS loom and down to the front of the car and up to the dash board.  It is all overbraided, glue heat shrunk ends and heat shrunk tagged.  It will be fixed in place with zip tie holders (which arrived today!) once the chassis has been painted.

On to the front, and starting with the OS wing....

20141002_151136.jpg

This loom carries the windshield wiper, indicators, lights, fan and horn.  Again, all overbraided and heat shrunk.  The sticky pads will NOT be staying for the final build!

20141002_151147.jpg

Pops through the wing behind the headlight.  Still need a new H4 headlight plug, which should be here in the next few days.

Across to the horn and fan.  Fog light wiring has also been done the same way....

20141002_151150.jpg

A little bit more detail as I built the NS front loom.....

Once all the wires had been routed and joined together with heat shrink "guides", I covered them all with sections of overbraid.  Each end is closed with glue backed heat shrink to stop it coming apart and looking bad after handling.....

20141006_200133.jpg

Where each cable joins, it is again closed with glue backed heat shrink to hold the sections together. The ends a labelled ready for pinning.

20141006_200136.jpg

For the head light levelling motor, I fitted the new seals and stripped the wires.  New pins in the background ready for fitting....

20141006_200550.jpg

Crimped on the new pins.  Having the correct crimping tools was a must!!!  Â£35 well spent!

20141006_200951.jpg

Finally refit the plug and locking plate

20141006_201026.jpg20141006_201030.jpg

All the earthing will be inside the wing, but all the wires were crimped, soldered and heatshrunk.  Nothing like having to bit of OCD!

20141006_204912.jpg

Final part is connecting the plug at the inner end of the loom.  job for another day, but so far it's only taken 3 full days to wire up the four corners of the car all the way back to the dashboard with all new wire and pins.  Some of the original wire was in good shape, but some was showing signs of corrosion.  Either way I'm 110% happier doing it this way then recycling old bits of wire with new soldered together.  Onward ever slowly!

• Like 2