MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Well I took advantage of the Tegiwa offers on the lead up to Christmas so impatiently waiting for parts to be delivered!

Also getting ready to put the chassis on the stand so I can start stripping the underseal off

Okay, between eating too much food and arguing with the family I managed a few jobs on the car.  Still waiting for a few bits to turn up but most stuff arrived in good time.

Next big job is to get the chassis painted, so lots of small jobs to be done before this can happen.  I bought a chassis rotisserie while back so I can work on the underside so I want to take the body panels off and get them out of the way.  First job was to fit all the perspex windows and leave them to "settle" in the runners.  I also need to measure up for some small brackets  to fix the bottom of the panels in place for extra security

20141229_214042_HDR.jpg

20141229_214055_HDR.jpg

20141229_221337_HDR.jpg

20141229_221408_HDR.jpg

Then off with all the doors.  Looks naked without them!

20141229_222945_HDR.jpg

Next task was to get the mould ready for the sunroof bung.  I thought the easiest way would be to use the old roof panel and make a fibre glass mould from that, so as I have 2 roof panels kicking about...

20141230_145600_HDR.jpg

Cut off the rubber seal, the new panel will be bonded into place..

20141230_145608_HDR.jpg

Mount the panel to a backing board.  I also had to fill in as much of the gaps around the edge as possible to minimise the work with filler etc, as possible later on...

20141230_143725_HDR.jpg

Left this to dry for a few days before going at this with filler and primer.  Solid start :)

Back to the chassis, and chase down how far the tin worm in the rear arch has got.  Using a brass wire wheel on the angle grinder makes short work of any filler and paint.  Looks like it will need a little more work than planned but nothing the body shop can't handle,,,

20141230_155623_HDR.jpg

20141230_155628_HDR.jpg

Looks like they will have to cut and rebuild the lower corner of the wing to mount the bumper onto.  This whole section is loose and I could break this off with my hands.  I want to keep this in place until the body shop can see the "damage"

The back of the car still has a few small areas of sound deadening to clean off. Jobs done, but no photos as I managed to drop the grinder onto my arm while working on roof.  Even with a long sleeve top it managed to take a chunk out of my arm

20141231_115218_HDR.jpg

Back of the car has been finished and all etch primed.  Didn't take long :)  The arm has however turned to a great mass of puss and crud which needs regular cleaning, lovely!

Another job while the arm heals was to fit the MR2 power steering pump.  I've seen this done on several other forums, but hate where they mount it using the original brackets.  To get it to fit where the battery used to go would mean removing the pump body casting.  Time to plug up the holes and start cutting...

20141229_161634_HDR.jpg

Off with the legs...

20141229_163603_HDR.jpg20141229_174432_HDR.jpg

20141229_174438_HDR.jpg

All edges filed and smoothed off ready to make the new mounting brackets. With the mounts removed I'll have to use the 3 bolts that hold on the motor cover as the new mounts to a new bracket but it will now fit where I want it to go...

20141229_174502_HDR.jpg

I will pick up off the original battery tray mounts along the edge of the chassis rail. 

Oh, and the new engine mounts look the nuts :)

20141229_174711_HDR.jpg

20141229_174714_HDR.jpg

Last piece I picked up today was the lower control arm brace from Function7.  Beautiful piece of machining, but not designed for the MC/MB chassis it will need work to make it go on.  I've been told that a small amount of material needs to be removed from the back of the brace, so I'll check in the week and put the brace on the mill at work to get a clean cut.

20150103_163511_HDR.jpg

Time to sit back and enjoy my last few hours off before returning to work on Monday :(

• Like 2

Stock pump is ugly, close to the larger rad and takes 5bhp to run plus it's on all the time! Electro-Hydraulic unit takes 0.5bhp and is speed sensitive. Autocross boys in the US use them on their Civics so found a fair bit of info on them.