1.8 Aerodeck from Finland (10 years of ownership)

Dexter

Toyo t1r are a good cheap tyre here. Don't know what prices are like for you.

I payed £196 fitted and balanced for 4.,

Where did you get them? I've used Camskill before so ordering abroad is fine for me if the price is right. Toyo T1R's would definately be better than Nankangs.

I had 205/40 Nankangs on my 17's on my MB6. they are very good for wear, great in the summer, not so good in the wet if you drive it hard. Ive just ordered new rims with Nankangs again. They are very good value for money.

So you actually had some grip with them? My friends are telling me now they'll be useless on my race ricer :D. And did you have NS-2's or AS-1's? I heard NS-2 is lots better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're as good as premium tyres, that would be silly. I've been on tyre tests and seen the shocking reality of cheap budget tyres versus premium brands and sworn never to buy a budget tyre again. I had the ns2's which were poor for wet handling. Got the 20's now but barely ran in. Noise isn't as bad as a i thought it would be and so far very impressed. I don't see nankang as a budget tyre as they are a better known brand and I feel I can trust the tyres reliability over something like landsail,achilles or accelera to name a few

P.s. I remember the ns-2's being rather noisy when they were new, seemed to get better as they bedded in, which did take a while.

Thanks for the comments. If i'd go 205/40 there would be so much more to choose from, but because i want to get a good stretch they wouldn't look good on the 7.5 wide fronts. And in 195/40 R17 the options are pretty limited.... At the moment i'm leaning towards Falken ZE912's, same as i have at the moment on my 16's and they have been pretty good in my experience. They're about £320 shipped home, but the Nankangs would hurt me £80 less... hard decision :?.

Personally I think tyres are worth a little more.

best thing I ever did on my mb6 was fit toyos.

I had yoko s drives previously and a tight chicane locally I could take at 50mph max otherwise I lost grip. Scary!

With toyos I could then corner at 70 with no sign of loosing grip!

Thanks for the comments. If i'd go 205/40 there would be so much more to choose from, but because i want to get a good stretch they wouldn't look good on the 7.5 wide fronts. And in 195/40 R17 the options are pretty limited.... At the moment i'm leaning towards Falken ZE912's, same as i have at the moment on my 16's and they have been pretty good in my experience. They're about £320 shipped home, but the Nankangs would hurt me £80 less... hard decision :?.

I'd spend the extra £80 knowing you can throw her around without worrying about grip! 8-)

Personally I think tyres are worth a little more.

best thing I ever did on my mb6 was fit toyos.

I had yoko s drives previously and a tight chicane locally I could take at 50mph max otherwise I lost grip. Scary!

With toyos I could then corner at 70 with no sign of loosing grip!

Agreed, Toyos are fantastic value for money, very grippy in all weathers, I've got s drives on my 16s and they feel more nervous in the wet and seem to tramline more too, will probably get toyos when these wear out and I wouldn't touch nankangs.

Okay i'll skip the Nankangs and go for the Falkens. 80£ isn't that bad, taken into consideration that my last set lasted for 5 summers. So about 15£ per year for extra grip... i guess that's a pretty good deal!

I did some dryfitting last weekend:

Front

img1964t.jpg

Back

img1967xu.jpg

img1970t.jpg

I think it's going to turn out just the way i want it. The fitting rings from my old Zero's were a perfect match so that's one more thing crossed off the list. Now just have to get the arches rolled and wheels fitted. And before that the deck's got to pass her MOT test on friday, keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

By my opionion good tires are really worth the money. I've had Hankook, Toyo, Continental and Nokian tires over time. I have to say that T1R Toyo was quite nice when it was new, but it became slippery when wearing. Now I'm having Hakka V:s which I have to say, have better grip than T1R:s had.

But Hankook RS2 "track day tire" was awesome also. RS2 just was really slippery when it was wet and cold. But on warm day the grip was something in it's own class, R888 Toyo might be other with that kind of grip.

Go at least with Falkens, don't spoil your deck with nankangs.. :D