1.8 Aerodeck from Finland (10 years of ownership)

Dexter

Ok so i got the stopper primed but when started spraying the actual color, found out that the 10-year old can didn't want to co-operate except by squirting out a wrinkle-style look, like on rocker covers! Actually looked kinda cool but i already have a can of VHT wrinkle plus and on this one i want a nice smooth finish... so until the next shopping trip. Instead i made a new mini-mod called block heater plug re-locate:

IMG_2162.jpg

If you couldn't spot it right away, then i guess i got it right!

IMG_2163.jpg

It used to be in the bay which was nice and subtle but since the new job i started last summer i've been driving to work every day. And once the weather dropped below zero it quickly became quite a chore to 4 times a day open the bonnet to either plug or unplug the heater wire. The Calix plug didn't have a cover but luckily i found a spare at the local Motonet for 10€. But what a pain it was to install the spring to get it stay shut properly! I was about to e-mail the manufacturer but finally about after a hour of battle (and searching the bay for the tiny spring time and time again as it popped out of my fingers!) managed to get it right. A small hole in the lower bumper mesh and a couple of cable ties later i was all set. I didn't bother much with hiding it any better since it sits enough inside the bumper that it's pretty much un-noticeable unless you squat down right in front of the car... or raise the car up like in upper picture.

A small but very useful mod... atleast if you live as far north as i do! :-D It was down to -18 celsius yesterday so these babies can be pretty useful!

• Like 2

Nice and subtle! I'm guessing it helps get the coolant warmed up does it? 

Actually never even thought about what part of the engine exactly it warms up! But now i looked it up and yeah you're right, it's the coolant. Thanks :wink:.

• Like 1

Actually never even thought about what part of the engine exactly it warms up! But now i looked it up and yeah you're right, it's the coolant. Thanks :wink:.

Cool! Glad I could help, though I expected you'd have already known what it does :lol:

Be handy here when the idiots just use pure water in their cars radiator! 

Cool! Glad I could help, though I expected you'd have already known what it does :lol:

Be handy here when the idiots just use pure water in their cars radiator! 

Well over here almost every car has one so I guess it's something you just take for granted and the thing that matters is just that it warms up the engine... i'll have to ask my friends if they've ever thought about how!

So here's what i did last year:

Mods

Rear aero wiper

KV85 Magencor spark plug leads

Skunk2 cam gears

Non-EU license plates

Tegiwa 4-2-1 exhaust manifold

Martelius 2.5" sports cat

Martelius 2.25" custom stainless exhaust

Magnaflow double barrel backbox

Rear arches rolled

Tegiwa radiator

HEL braided brake hoses

Brake depot grooved discs

Ferodo DS2500 pads

Motul RBF600 fluid

Password:JDM magnetic oil drain plug

Block heater plug relocation

Repairs / maintenance

Distributor cap & rotor

Spark plugs

Fuel filter

Right rear wheel bearing

Cambelt, waterpump etc. auxiliaries

Coolant

2 x oilchange

Headlight refurb

Right rear abs sensor

I didn't even remember how much i had done until reading through this years posts on this thread! I'm pretty satisfied, getting the brakes & exhaust fully done are 2 big things off my secret "final build sheet" :-D. Shame that the new winter wheels didn't fit, i still might buy a set if i can afford it after getting new coils... that's next on my list. What else for 2015? Haven't decided yet. I plan to get loads of track days in, in preparation for a possible entry in the 2016 Finnish Time Attack series club class. Now that i got my exhaust done and adjustable cam gears, maybe it's worth it to invest in other go-fast parts as well... or perhaps a Hondata S300? We'll see!

Happy new year bros. 8-)

IMG_2100.jpg

• Like 1