1.8 Aerodeck from Finland (10 years of ownership)

Dexter

Shame about the wheels mate! Could you not look at some spacers? Or is it too much? Difficult to tell from that pic .. Those Conti's look meaty though!

Nice brake upgrades :D

Shame about the wheels mate! Could you not look at some spacers? Or is it too much? Difficult to tell from that pic .. Those Conti's look meaty though!

Nice brake upgrades :D

Use 3mm spaces or grind down the calipers a wee bit.or both.. :idea:

Well 3mm won't do much, as i need 25mm more clearance... and the inner diameter of the wheel just keeps getting smaller from the point where the caliper contacts at the moment, so grinding won't help either. The only solution i can think of right now is fitting a small brake kit, and obviously that's not gonna happen! Oh well i guess this is part of the hobby :roll:.

But nordic Conti's are just awesome, i can pretty much do vtec while going uphill in an avalanche :-D. I've had them for 4 winters and there's still 5mm or more of pattern left on each tyre so no need to change yet! Next time though i'll be getting something a bit stretchier, i think 175/55 compared to the current 195/55 would look much better... http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=195&aspect=55&diameter=15&wheelwidth=7&offset=40&width2=175&aspect2=55&diameter2=15&wheelwidth2=7&offset2=40#content

• 2 weeks later...

So finally found some time to install my new brake discs. Which i would have done, if i they would've come off! I rounded 3 out of the 4 screws holding the front discs in place, but managed to finally get them off after a quite a long battle with a dremel and an impact driver. At this point it was nice to realise that the discs were very very utterly stuck. So i used the 2 holes provided to thread in some bolts to force the disc off as suggest by Haynes. Only to have a bolt snap off in the hole. Nice. At this point i called it a day... i'll probably try again tomorrow with a big can of crc and an assortment of hammers & mallets. Let's hope it does the trick!

Victory! What i tried first:

- crc ice rust remover

- 4 different hammers / mallets

- a puller tool

- lots of heat

And after all of this wasn't quite enough, i had to turn to google. And literally the first search result solved my problem in less than 10 minutes! So anybody who's got trouble with stuck brake discs, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMuHKDI00rw. You can do quite a lot with a few bolts, nuts and washers. 8-)

After that everything was a breeze, so here's my new setup: zinc-plated grooved discs from Brake Depot and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

IMG_2022.jpg

Now the calipers just need a new lick of red paint! I went through all the brake parts pretty thoroughly and everything is looking pretty good. Sliding pins were in good order, needed just a slight sanding and new lube and they're like new now. Rubber boots were all intact, and the piston went in smoothly. I gave the piston contact surface a light sanding, as well as the wheel hubs and properly copper pasted them as well as the caliper paws and pad retainer clips. After that, a proper bedding in & test drive and i can say now the deck stops like a jet landing on a aircraft carrier! And i'm not surprised, considering my old pads looked like this:

IMG_2014.jpg

Whaddaya mean i needed new ones!!! :-D
Old discs:

IMG_2019.jpg

They're not even that bad considering the 5+ years they've served me. I think i'll take them down to a machine shop to see if i can get them refurbed, just so i can have a backup pair JUST in case my new discs might warp or crack unexpectedly. Next up: rear discs & pads.