So, got her back up on axle stands again getting her prepped for mot. Think I may have sorted the ABS fault! 😀 Unplugged the sensors at the rear, squirted some switch cleaner into both plugs and female ends of the wiring harness they plug into then gave them a good clean out. Plugged them back in, pulled the fuse for the ECU to clear the memory and fired her up. Light goes off as normal. Have stopped/started the engine a few times now and light always goes off, but havent driven her yet so fingers crossed the light stays off!

When I was removing the old sensor, every single bolt that holds them on sheared off, so going to drill out the bolts, then use self tapping screws to replace the bolts so I can get the abs sensor cables all secured like they should be. 

Once that's done, I need to get the rear underside prepped with the drill/wire brush to clean it all up and then treat it with some rust treatment. It's just surface rust but I want it gone! Going to do the rear floor, up inside the rear arches, the rear suspension arms etc. The suspension arms once treated will be primed with red oxide, then sprayed satin black. The floor too will get a healthy coat of red oxide then fresh underseal. I did the front of the car all the way to where the front edge of the rear arch starts ages ago, so just this rear to do. Once that's done, might paint the brake calipers to freshen them up, get her bodywork mopped and polished then take her for a test drive.

If light stays off, will get her in for her MOT. 

• Like 1

Hope that you've got to the bottom of the abs problem.. They're a right menace. 

Good plans for the underside as well, got to keep the tin worm well away from that deck! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe what's the symptom again?

I have literally just the other day cured abs issue on my crown by cleaning and lightly sanding reluctor rings. Wreaks havok if there not uniform.

On 6/26/2023 at 7:27 PM, Dave said:

The saga continues! Hooked the battery up, started her, lights back on again! Thinking maybe the abs ring needs a clean? 

Good idea to keep your ring clean mate :-D

I'll get me coat... 

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Decided to start getting to work on DD! After being underneath her trying to suss out the ABS fault, I noticed she had a fair bit of surface rust at the rear. Before we moved down here, I'd done rust treatment then fresh underseal from the front of the car up to where it stops at the rear arches, but never got round to doing from there to the back. Front still looks in decent shape, as do the floor pans etc. So decided I needed to get to work on getting this done. 

Have started on the drivers side wheel arch/inner arch and suspension. Got it all buffed down with the grinder/wire brush wheel and it was nowhere near as bad as i thought. Metal beneath the surface rust was still nice and shiney. So rust treatment to the arches/inner arch and the suspension, followed up with a good coat of red oxide paint. Then on with a fresh coat of underseal. Did the suspension arms etc in satin black paint. Looking pretty decent for an old girl!

Rear_rust treatment os_rear_wheel arch2.jpg

Rear_rust treatment os_rear_wheel arch1.jpg

This shows what's still to be done and compares to the drivers side that I've almost finished. The drivers side looked as bad as this when I started

Rear_rust treatment in progress1.jpg

Another small detail that's been bugging me since she's been on her winter-standard alloys was I'd lost the original small chrome wheel nuts. Had been using the extended ones that the Cades alloys need, but these stuck out too far and were rusty as hell. So, ordered up some nice new OEM ones for her. A little detail but one that I think makes a big difference.

New_oem_wheel_nuts.jpg

And just a couple of her how she sits just now

dd-in-garage.jpg

dd-in-garage2.jpg

Have also refitted the OEM sunroof wind deflector as the water leak she has when it rains isn't coming from the sunroof. narrowed it down to around the top of the windscreen where it's getting the top drivers side corner of the roof lining wet. Another job o the list! Tking the rear calipers off too to give them a good clean (have also rust treated them) before giving them a nice coat of silver VHT paint. Going to take of the O/S Brake disc while I'm t it to get better access to clen the abs ring as it's difficult to do just through the small gap where the abs sensor sits. Hoping that solves the ABs issue but we'll wait and see! Still happy that even though she's now 24 years old, she's still never had or needs any welding. really good nick!

• Like 1

You've been busy there mate.. Nice one. Looks clean the bit you've done. I bet that's put your mind at rest to know it's just surface rust. 

Hope you finally get the abs sorted though.. That's been a pain ey. 

Those wheel nuts do look better with the standard wheels. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dr_broon said:

You've been busy there mate.. Nice one. Looks clean the bit you've done. I bet that's put your mind at rest to know it's just surface rust. 

Hope you finally get the abs sorted though.. That's been a pain ey. 

Those wheel nuts do look better with the standard wheels. 

Yeah, was stressing thinking she was getting bad rust wise at the rear. Can sleep at night now knowing she's solid lol. Once I get new tyres on the cades alloys they'll be going back on. Can't believe she's been sitting in the garage for a year now since her last mot ran out! Luckily wee Poppy Cooper has been handling the daily duties well!

• Like 1

Lol, garage is needing a few repairs to the base unfortunately. The company that laid the raised concrete base for it made a bit of an arse of it. The rear of the garage is raised up about 3 feet due to the slope of the garden, unfortunately they only built a timber surround for the base (should have been brick) so the wood has moved out at the rear allowing the hardcore underneath the concrete to move slightly. Now has a crack in the floor right up the middle from front to rear, and a smaller crack to both rear corners. 😒Guy that owns the company is a dick, not interested in putting it right so having to either get another company in or do it myself. It's on the list! Is set up nice in there though, did all the electrics and lighting myself so super bright led lights etc and nice bench to work at.

• Like 1