On 6/12/2022 at 6:19 PM, Dave said:

Did a little bit of resto work on DD recently. Her plastic door trims and sills were looking faded and patchy (as all car trim goes over time) so decided it was time to do something about it. Normally just put back to black on them once shes been washed, but the effect only lasts a few days so wanted a more permanent solution. Had seen videos of folk using heat guns/blow torches and it's meant to make them like new again. Thought, right, lets give it a bash!

Had the heat gun on a low heat and took my time with it...

Heat gun at the ready!

DD_plastic_trim_revived_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_MC1_heat_gun_ready.jpg

Drivers door trim done, can see the difference compared to the wee bit trim on the front wing which hasn't been done.

DD_plastic_trim_revived_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_MC1_close-up2_before_wee_wing_trim_done.jpg

And after..

DD_plastic_trim_revived_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_MC1_close-up.jpg

Drivers door (done) compared to rear door (not done)

DD_plastic_trim_revived_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_MC1_comparison-back-door-trim-not-restored.jpg

All done including the sills

DD_plastic_trim_revived_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_MC1_3.jpg

DD_plastic_trim_revived_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_MC1_2.jpg

Wee photo of DD and Poppy together

DD_and_Poppy_Honda_Civic_MC1_Aerodeck_1999_and_2006_Mini_CooperS_Convertible_R52.jpg

Really impressed with how they turned out. A week later, and they still look like that so going to give them another wee go over with the gun then maybe seal it with silicon spray. Has made a big difference to how she looks as she's now dirty again but trims look good!

Just wondering how this held up mate? 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 3:31 PM, dr_broon said:

Just wondering how this held up mate? 

Still looks not too bad mate, although can see the water marks on the plastic sill covers again. I'm going to fit her VTiS ones so won't have that problem much longer lol.

• Like 1

Soooo, after seeing @Roverjoe latest update on the work he's done to his Civic, got me motivated to get back under DD to press on with the rust treatment!

Drivers side rear area now completed, it was onto the Spare wheel well. Saw a few scabs and was thinking the worst but after getting the grinder with flappy disc into it along with the wire wheel on my drill, was again pleased to find it ws only surface rust again. nice clean metal underneath!

Rear_rust treatment in progress1.jpg

After grinding and wire wheel....

Rear_rust treatment in progress2.jpg

On with the rust inhibitor (I tidied up the lower control arms too and any other areas round about that had signs of rust)..

Rear_rust treatment in progress2B.jpg

Once everything had dried for a few days, gave the whole underside of the boot floor a good coat of red oxide paint, just to act as another layer of protection before the fresh underseal goes on.

Rear_rust treatment in progress3.jpg

This is the rust treatment stuff I'm using.

the treatment stuff.jpg

Next I'll get the undersealing done then move onto the pass side rear arch and get that all done. Thinking it's better doing in completed stages instead of leaving the metal bare. Deffo looking a lot better so far!Still got the pesky ABS issue to sort out too, but that's future Dave's problem!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's update on the rust treatment. Got the whole rear into its first coat of underseal, boot floor and surrounding areas looking much tidier now

Rear_rust treatment in progress5.jpg

Got it right up into the rear corners roo and in behind the rear bumper so she's well protected. Deffo going to give her another coat though, but my neck was sore from doing this yesterday so had to give it a miss today. Next, i'll get the lower suspension arms done in satin black then move onto the nearside Rear arch and suspension, got it all buffed dow, rust treated, undersealed and painted. Then just the ABS sensor to refit and troubleshoot and fit the VTiS side skirts. Should be ready for the mot after that.

Rear_rust treatment in progress4.jpg

• Like 1

Have now finished apart from the pass side wheel arch. Got the abs sensor all fited back in and her back on the ground. Unfortunately, needing the garage to fix the MINI now! lol Rear wheel bearing is shot so now the mini is up on stands.

On a positive note, when I moved DD into the car port, I had a brain fart moment! ABS light is still on, so deffo thinking wiring fault. Then I thought, hmm, who's to say the faults actually at the rear? So popped the bonnet, and gave the connector that goes into the abs unit a good poke about/wiggle. Started her up, ABS light went off! Started her another 2 times and same, light going off as it should. 3rd start up, stuck on again lol. least i think I'm in the right area now with the fault so once i get the mini done, I'll get her back in the garage to check out the big connector on the abs unit.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 8:35 PM, dr_broon said:

Looks flipping good that mate. 

Hope that you're into something with the abs.. That's be good to get that sorted! 

Deffo an improvement that's for sure mate! Was meant to get fired into the MINI today but we were staying over in Glasgow yesterday/last night (and many drinks were consumed! 😊) so by the time we got home today couldn't be arsed! lol Getting poppy's rear bearing done tomorrow then will get DD back in and get that AB connector disconnected, checked and cleaned. Fingers crossed this time!

• Like 1