1.8 Aerodeck from Finland (10 years of ownership)

Dexter

• 2 months later...

Well it's been over 2 and a half months since my last update, mostly because of a rather lengthy moving house project and some holiday trips but the deck hasn't been neglected, just my civic5 time! So time to catch up a bit, let's see if i can remember everything that's happened. Btw i never got the crap off the wheels, it's just gonna be re-paint time if i want them to be like new again.

First of all i removed my Moman plasma dials which haven't been working for a while. During the last fixing attempt i managed to overload the instrument cluster and a piece of the circuitry melted off.

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

After asking around a bit bought some liquid silver and after 3 layers got it working without any issues, so now i'm back to stock which honestly looks pretty good to me. But sometimes de-tuning is a step forward... or then maybe i'm just getting old, haha! Replaced all the bulbs while i was at it.

IMG_2589_1.jpg

IMG_2612_1.jpg

Ordered a new wing mirror to replace one i cracked during a too tight parking attempt, and while i had the door card open, re-located the crossover to a perfect spot i didn't think it would fit in during the initial install. Lot better here than in the passenger compartment!

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

Then we got a new toy at work... Kärcher Puzzi car interior washer. I gave the deck a treatment and even though the seats don't really look any different (they weren't visibly stained to start with), the dirtyness of the water was pretty sick! Probably a first interior wash for this car. Also started to search for some Recaros, found three sets from Evo's all for a good price but in the end skipped them... why settle for second best when i know i can get DC2 ones eventually! There's one red pair for sale at 700€ here's but i think the price is pretty steep, and i really want the black ones with red stitching. Might have to wait i guess!

IMG_2700.jpg

Have i mentioned i bought a foam jet? It's pretty awesome!

IMG_2837.jpg

Since i stepped up the car care game decided i asked my friend to do a machine polish... 7 hours later with both of us working the end result was shiiiiiiiny!

IMG_2847.jpg

(looks kinda good without the roof rails, doesn't it?)

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

Wow this is getting pretty long... i'll have to continue with part 2 a bit later at a better opportunity.

• Like 2

Had some yellow film lying around so decided to try out the euro thing... don't know if it's any better than before, but hey, it's a mod nevertheless! :-D

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

I was heading off to Ahvenisto to start my track season so bought some shiny new wheel nuts and showed the R888's some tire marker...

IMG_3006.jpg

Surprisingly i didn't manage to improve my track times from 2 years back, even though since i've upgraded the exhaust, brakes and suspension and definitely got the driving lines nailed better than before. My guess is old tires and bad alignment... the Toyo's are down to 1mm and 3mm of tread per pair so they probably have one track day left in them. But gotta tell you, the brake setup is pretty awesome at the moment! I was doing 5-7 hard laps in a row and got practically zero brake fade... i'm running grooved discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Hel hoses and Motul RBF600 fluid.

IMG_3038.jpg

While i raised the car to track height, i played a bit with the pre-loads for the first time. Set it at 10mm at each corner (was at about 4mm before) and lowered the damping to 5 clicks from hardest for street and i couldn't believe how much better it was! At track i gradually turned it to max but just for normal cruising 5 is perfect. For the next track day am tempted to add even more pre-load.

But unfortunately i've started to lose some oil. It's always been seeping a tiny bit from the gearbox side, but this summer it's increased to the point where i've already added 0,5 liters twice, within 2 months. That's a bit too much so the plan is to do a proper engine wash, check the torque of the valve cover bolts and start following carefully where the oil is coming out. I already replaced the vtec solenoid gasket and torqued it down.

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

For those of you who's participated in the 5 dream car garage thread, well i got a step closer to mine by going to see and test drive this gorgeous '82 TE71 Corolla coupe for sale fitted with a 4-AGE. LUCKILY it was not perfect enough, otherwise i would've ended up with a 5000 euro loan!  :-D  Yeah, pretty steep for a car like that. Taking into consideration seeing it live i noticed it had some flaws that made me lost interest before even seriously thinking about buying it. But definitely worth the time, still one of my favourite models of all time...

IMG_3062.jpg

That's pretty much it so far. I had a battery issue which got sorted out, more of that in detail here if someone's interesed. My 3 year old Optima failed, for no apparent reason... so now i'm just running a el cheapo brandless battery. Fortunately it comes with a 3 year warranty so in the end 65€ well spent me thinks.

Thanks for all the comments. And like i always say, more stuff is on the way! I haven't done any bigger mods in a while and the Honda jar is getting faaaaat so i better start looking for them Recaros again. 8-)

• Like 2