Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, not been active on the forum for a while so have missed out on a lot. I have soooo much catching up to do, so many threads to read it will take me a very long time to see what i have missed..

• Like 2

Hi mate, not been active on the forum for a while so have missed out on a lot. I have soooo much catching up to do, so many threads to read it will take me a very long time to see what i have missed..

No a great deal happening recently in their one @Mr Brown although cambelt being done today :)

Anyone notice anything different??????

Much much much love for @Honda Paul for all his help today. And sorry the deck broke your tools, but she is hardcore ;)

Thank fuxk for that. It's finally gone. I think Pauls technical term was 'pinking' basically the valve still being slightly open when ignition is sparked. Resulting in the 'rattle' I had. This was due to an old, worn cambelt!! :-o

Well happy, an properly back in love with her :) will go for a decent spin in the morning, supposedly she'd have been down on power slightly .......

• Like 1

Excellent! :D  That is mad how something like that was causing the noise. It's one of those things you cannot pin-point what it is!

Yeah most definitely mate. was crazy and if I'm honest I was loosing patience.

Was a head hangs next and after that I don't know!! Lol

Fantastic news mate! With the lambda unplugged mine feels like I expected it to for all the knew bits it had.

Enjoy your drive in the morning!

• Like 1

I'm still crossing my finger for you Grant. I think the real test will be nxt time you drive her :) sounds good so far though.

Just to clarify - and this is a quote as I couldn't be bothered to write it all up

To clarify the original question:

'Pinking' or Pre-ignition is when the temperature/compression combination within the cylinder is high enough to cause ignition of the fuel/air mixture, without the use of a spark plug.

The main issue is that pinking tends to be uneven in its combustion with little micro-explosions. If this explosion occurs close to a surface it causes pitting, too much and it can cause the holes in pistons mentioned above.

The pinging noise are these micro-explosions and the resulting shockwave they produce.

It's caused by a combination of fuel/air mixture, temperature, physical layout of the chamber and compression ratio.

Ignition Advance being too late is sometimes the problem on a good engine, but it is also often used to mask other issues, lean mixture is easy to spot, but others such as burrs in the machining of the components causing hot spots, are less so without disassembling the engine.

Additionally if pinking has occurred, it is more likely to occur in the future especially where damage has resulted, creating more opportunities for hot spots.

It is also more prevalent on boosted engines due to the higher pressures and temperatures involved.

Fingers crossed Grant ;)

• Like 3

Nice explanation Paul. Interesting read.

Will report back again in the morning. Intend on taking her for a blast :)

Whitey come out if the weather is good?