• 2 weeks later...

You did indeed sell me two, as I had two that were broken at the time mate. I've managed to repair the one that's broke this time so alls good again lol

Well, Paul and I started to do the rear brakes on Ruby today. Would love to say it all went well, but it didn't :-( Handbrake cable braket was an absolute nightmare to get off, with the two bolts that hold it to the caliper totally rusted solid. Took us ages to heat them up and try and get them undone, but we got there eventually. Then the little pin that holds the handbrake cable to the mechanisim wouldnt come out, again, well siezed. So more time wasted trying to get that off too.

Then when we went to fit the new caliper, the bloody thing wouldn't clear the new read brake pads, so after much effing and blinding, we finally got it on. Then the two bolts that gave us so much grief at the start on the handbrake cable braket, well, the holes wouldnt line up with the new calipers holes.!!!! Spent ages trying to get that to line up, which id did eventually, but cost us so much time with all these snags that we only got the drivers side replaced! So got to go through it all again tomorrow to get the passenger side off and the new one fitted with new pads. All the rear pads were shot, with hardly any meat left on them at all. And the old calipers, with Ruby sitting just a short space of time, were siezing up big time, really binding. So glad to get them off the car!

Should finish the job tomorrow, then will take her out to give the brakes a good test, see how they bed in. Will be glad to have no more binding rear brakes!!

Massive thanks to Paul again for getting stuck in and getting this done. Would have spat the dummy out myself a lot earlier had he not been there! I just don't seem to have the patience, nor the hands i used to have (bloody artheritis at my age! wtf???), for working on cars.

And apologies to my babe Gayle for being late coming down to yours :oops:

• Like 1

Sounds about right then! I can hear one of my fronts binding! So got that to look forward to!

Least she's getting there dude! Half done is better than having to abort! Have you just replaced with OEM stuff dude?

Might be worth leaving the M's parked without the handbrakes on? P on the Deck is enough and leave Ruby in gear or chock a wheel? :idea: 

• Like 1

They are a PITA, the rears. Hopefully the passenger side won't give you as much grief.

As Krzys says, it's best to leave them parked without the handbrake on especially for any length of time, I always avoid using mine when I can.

LOL what a pain, at least your half way there and you may be lucky and side just flies off.. Fingers Crossed

Sods law it will probably fall off or be far easier! :lol:

• Dave unpinned this topic