• 2 months later...

Well, saw the sun shining today (even though it was cold!) so thought I'd get Ruby out for a spin. Went down the Scottish borders, as the A68 is a cracking road. Unfortunately, about 20mins into journey the blooming rain came back in anger, bloody pouring down! But hey ho, kept going thinking it might brighten up again when I get further down. Wrong! Then got to Lauder, and noticed that Ruby wasnt running right! Engine was fine, but really bad vibration appeared through the steering wheel. Thought it was a flat at first as she was pulling slightly to the left. Stopped to check, tyres ok, so thought brakes or wheel bearing. Gave the wheels a good push/pull, bearings seemed fine (although would ideally need her off the ground to check properly) so got back on the road. Everything seemed fine again! Got another few miles and same again, only noticed this time that under acceleration she pulled slightly left, back off and she went straight again. Vibration was really bad, so pulled over and noticed the smell of either burnt brakes or clutch. So turned round and headed home (was around 40 miles away at this point) again. All way up the A68, she drove fine. I was like wtf??? Then went to turn off onto the B roads to get home and noticed that the vibration came back! Thought, hmmmm, was alright all the way up that road, but now this? Then realised I hadnt used the brakes all the way up, until I stopped to turn onto the B road. She vibrated for around 3 miles, then it was gone again. By the time I got to my town, it was back, and even though I was only doing 30mph, the brake fade was immense!! Brakes felt totally shit! So shes back in the garage, lot of heat and smoke emitting from front passenger side brakes For some reason it's been binding, so will need to get the front brakes appart to have a look. I got the discs machined last year, so think it might be time to replace them and the pads, especially after the binding issue. Reckon the disc was warping under the extreme heat, which gave me the vibration through the wheel. The drivers side wasn't so hot, but will do the whole lot/renew it all to make sure. And on top of that, cant put her cover back on cos shes manky!!! Will need to get her washed and dried again! Flippin cars!

That's a bit strange, it's not usually the fronts that bind, hopefully you won't need new calipers as well.

Nice to get her out for a drive though, shame about the rain, can't seem to get a dry day at the moment. :(

Yeah, she felt really good up until that point. Might just get new calipers anyway, can always keep the old ones and refurb them. Rears seemed fine, but she gets left in the garage with the handbrake off (same with Dawns deck) cos the rears deffo can be a nightmare!

Yeah, she felt really good up until that point. Might just get new calipers anyway, can always keep the old ones and refurb them. Rears seemed fine, but she gets left in the garage with the handbrake off (same with Dawns deck) cos the rears deffo can be a nightmare!

True, I always leave the handbrake off in the garage at night.

Oh that's a shame... But that is quite weird for that to happen on front brakes  :huh: Usually it's the rear calipers that are the problem. 

I leave my car in gear at home and work since replacing the rear calipers on mine  :P

• Dave unpinned this topic