50 minutes ago, Gel said:

The mileage you intend covering isn't too much for DD but you'll be losing exactly what makes DD endearing to folk  and collectable  i.e.  the low mileage and meticilious service record.

IMHO 24,000 miles p.a. is just too much for an ol' girl like DD.

Having a Mindy of your own has been a lifetime ambition for you Dave.....and don't forget how Mindy kept occupied after your life changing illness.

Decisions decisions....who needs 'em.

Shit is it 24k a year???? Bloody hell, hadn't thought of it like that! That is a hella lot for any car.

Yeah, having Mindy to work on was great therapy, although after the illness i wasn't allowed to work on her (not that that stopped me! :twisted: ). I can now but tbh, the stuff that needs done is mainly the new sills at rear (although they're solid enough for now, just unsightly) so that's holding up getting the bodywork ready for respray (plus total lack of funds!).

Underneath needs the whole lot wire brushed then car sent away to have dinitrol or something similar done inc chassis rails injected along with the sills. I cant get the car high enough to be able to work comfortably underneath. Needs some of those raisable ramps at around £300 a pair. Theres plenty to do, but i dont have the time, money or equipment to do it just now. Did also fancy learning to weld so i could tackle that side of things myself but then theres the cost of the course, time, money for the welding gear etc..

You're right again Gerry........ decisions decisions, who needs them!!!!!! Lol

Will need to think this through carefully.

What about swapping the mini for a cheep run around that you can just run into the ground without it worrying you? I used to do 80 miles a day, and after having an incident which killed my EG, I went through a series of cars for a couple of hundred quid. Cavelier, 309, carina.

then got tubs. 

• Like 1

Hmm, it's space too though. Plans have changed yet again! The house we'd looked at is now off the table. Both agree it's just too far away from work miles wise, and also it needs the whole electric heating system ripped out and complete new oil fired C/H installed which will cost a lot (Just my new combi boiler alone here was 4K to remove old one and install the new one, using existing radiators etc) so much as we both love that house, it's a no go.

We've now found one just outside Galashiels, which has a built in garage, although not sure on what size yet till we get inside. Had a sneaky look around as its empty, and with a lot of work could clear a space to the side of the house for another driveway. Again, lot of work and money, and its on at offers over 200k which it has no chance of getting, So we might put a cheeky offer in on that ans see what happens.

But deffo looks like we won't have space for all the cars (stepdaughter has now passed her test and also has a car, so we have 5 cars in all!).

The daily commute from there though is a bit easier....29 miles each way

5 cars? 

You need one of these

parking_2b.jpg

It's nice round Galashiels 8-)

• Haha 2

and DD parked right at the top, on her throne! lol rlol.gif1

• Haha 1

Forgot to update this! Wee Carly Cooper is sold, and have been driving DD as my daily for the past month. Shes been getting a lot dirtier than she's been for a long time (not really been outside the garage in winter since 2012) so many hours spent washing her to keep this crappy salt off her. Shes also been putting on the miles! Normally between 500 miles to at most 1500 miles a year.......... she's done around 700 miles or more in the month since i sold Carly! And have to say, shes been driving absolutely spot on. Really like driving her although missing the mpg of the mini and the fact i could throw the mini around without a care in the world but obvs DD gets driven with much more caution! One bad thing though......as of next week, we no longer have the car park at work to park her in. Its been sold to build houses on. And as the surrounding car parks (including the one Carly got hit in) are all full before 8am, i have nowhere safe to park her. Really pissed off as i know the area/town (i was brought up there) and know its rough as hell. Theres also parky wardens on the go so going to be struggling to find anywhere to park her. The hunt continues!.......

Will get a wee pic up soon of DD in her new role cos not had a photo of her for a while.

• Like 2

Will grab a pic tonight of the rather dirty girl that DD is at the moment lol Off to the cinema in the peeing rain (least its got an indoor car park lol) 8-)

Couple of photos of Dirty DD tonight. 8-)

20191116_224022DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_Ocean_Terminal_nov2019.jpg20191116_224037DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_Ocean_Terminal_nov2019.jpg20191116_224051DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_Ocean_Terminal_nov2019.jpg

We went to see the new film "Le Mans" with Matt Damon playing the part of Carroll Shelby. Awesome film, and never knew about his actual racing driver friend Ken Myles who had had such an input into the development and actual racing of the Ford GT40. Man was amazing, and should have won the Le Mans race. That photo of the 3 GT40's crossing the finishing line together has a whole new meaning to me now after seeing the film. Highly recommended seeing it! And thanks to my Gayle for finding the film as it isn't advertised much.

• Like 1

Lol thanks Andrew, wasn't sure how it was spelt lol An amazing guy eh.

Looking good even covered in grime. 8-)

• Like 1

Forgot how good she looks tbf.  Lovely car

• Like 1

Thanks guys, yeah she's all clean again now though lol. I'm thinking of a plan regarding using DD as my daily though. I really don't want to sell the mk1 mx5 to get a mk3 mx5 daily driver, so thinking can use DD as the daily and then come spring/summer/autumn alternate between DD and the mx5. Will give DD a break and help spread the miles between the two. Will also give me a chance to take DD off the road for a bit to get everything cleaned underneath prior to getting finishing off the undersealing/suspension and subframe painting.

Nice long run today! We went to view a house down in Lauder, then had arranged to meet Simon (Dr Broon) down in Kielder Forest. Simon kindly donated a full set of winter wheels/winter tyres for DD (Much thanks mate!! 8-) ) so we went down to collect them and have a catch up and blether.

Run down was amazing! We tried to stay on the A68 as long as we could (sat nav constantly trying to send us on every road to the right of the A68) but eventually turned off onto this single track road (wish I could remember the number of it!) which was initially covered in wet mud for about the first half a mile. DD got covered in crap, the dirty girl! Road eventually opened up onto the best bit of tarmac I've driven on yet! Windy road, where you could see through the next 3 to 4 corners easily, surrounded but massive drops off the edge of the road into valleys and stunning scenery. DD was in her element, huging the corners with Gayle totally enjoying the run. She said we are deffo going to return there in Mindy the MX5!! Roads were just amazing!. Got Gayle to take some photos en route (we didnt get the best bit as we only thought about photos further down the road!! lol  :rolleyes:)

20191124_130650DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130704DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130819DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130920DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130925DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130953DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

Crossing the border into England. What a dirty girl DD!

20191124_131043DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_131052DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

lol smile dear, we're taking a photie!

20191124_131106DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

Finally back home. Don't think I've ever seen DD so filthy! Will be getting a bath asap!

20191124_174559DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_174620DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_174640DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

Her new winter shoes. Tyres are like new. Going to give the wheels a quick refurb/spray before fitting.

20191124_174900DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

Can't thank Simon enough for these, really appreciate it mate. Was so good to meet up again as it's been a while since the last time! Great blether, even if our initial meeting point was closed and we had no way of calling you (zero phone signal there!) to let you know we were at the visitor centre! lol Saw this lovely Honda Accord tourer go tearing past and thought yup, there goes Simon! lmao. Great trip, great chat and DD's posh wheels will be saved the ravages of winter!

• Like 1

No worries bud, they've been sat around for years so glad they've gone to a good home and help keep DD safe in the slippy months. 

Good to catch up - I reckon there's loads of good tracks to be found around kielder (they have a stage from the pirelli rally there)... Always a fun place to get to :D

• Like 1

So, did a quick refurb of the wheels yesterday (was around -2 degrees here but had the heater on in the garage so nice and toasty!).

Lots of surface rust on the inside of the rims, so attacked that with wire brush on the drill, Flappy disc on the drill then finished off with a sand by hand.

After prepping/sanding

winter_wheel_refurbNov2019 (2).jpg

winter_wheel_refurbNov2019 (3).jpg

And repainted in black. Was going to respray them, but it's a hassle keeping the paint off the tyres (the tyres were the important part here! lol) so decided that as they are only winter wheels, brush painted with smooth Hammerite was the way to go.

winter_wheel_refurbNov2019 (1).jpgwinter_wheel_refurbNov2019 (4).jpg

Quite pleased with DD's Ghetto look wheels lol. Least once fitted I'll know she has some decent grip to keep her out of the ditches/kerbs once the snow comes.

• Like 1

Centre caps now ordered for the winter wheels.

Get those wheels on chief.. Once temps are below 7 degrees it's when they're needed :geek:

• Like 1

Should be on either end of this week or end of next week mate! Garage is going to be out of bounds as as we'll be using it to store the furniture from both bedrooms while the walls are fixed.

• Like 1

Old skool winter wheels!!

get some tyre shine in em! 8-)

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:47 PM, snakey135 said:

Old skool winter wheels!!

get some tyre shine in em! 8-)

Oh yes, deffo getting that lus something else just arrived for them!!! 

• Like 2

So, the refurb of the wheels is complete! I decided on making them just a bit different so went and bought this.....

tyre_lettering_pen_whiteDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

Thought it would make them look a bit dofferent and brighten up the all black wheel/tyre combo. Very 70's/80's lol

So here's what they looked like pre-refurb....

1WheelsBeforeRefurbDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg2WheelsBeforeRefurbDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

And now....

2WheelsAfterRefurbDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

3WheelsAfterRefurbDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

Think they'll look ok for DD's "Ghetto" winter wheels. Also fitted the centre caps I bought, and then fitted the blue vinyl H logos to the centre caps.

Also, to save the brand new OEM mates we bought for her, I invested in a set of these...

Winter matsDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

Just need to get the wheels fitted then suspension swapped back to her oem stuff and she'll be winter ready!

• Like 2

Those wheels look the mutts nuts :cool: good work. 

• Like 1

They should look different. Good effort tarting them up. 

• Like 1

Yes turned out not bad eh! Quite chuffed with them and wont have to worry bout them getting covered in grime.8-)