1.8 Aerodeck from Finland (10 years of ownership)

Dexter

Guest jimbob738

It's been 3 months since my last update so time to get this topic back on the road. Hopefully things will pick up speed now that i've changed jobs and with that my "garage" has changed from this:

attachicon.gifIMG_1547.JPG

...to this:

attachicon.gifIMG_1552.JPG

After 6 years of working for the Helsinki Youth Department i asked for a transfer to this moped/car workshop. Basically it's a place where anybody aged 16 to 23 can come and fix their rides for almost free of cost, and if needed get assistance from our team of 4 instructors. We've got a lift, tire machine, welding equipment in addition to a arsenal of quality tools etc. so it's almost as well stocked as any commercial garage. All this funded by taxpayer money. Even though i'm nowhere near a qualified mechanic (yet!), i'm learning from the others as we go AND can use the facility for my own projects before and after hours and on the weekends. So i'm pretty stoked about that! More updates soon to come.

Massive respect to what you do man I love these schemes, unfortunately we have a government in this country which steels from the poor and gives to the rich and consequently they are shutting all our schemes like this down one by one, my farther in law works at one in Nottingham Uk for the past 20 years and next week he is being made redundant, the guy has an MBE to his name for the work he has done, but hey that's what Conservative goverments do F*ck us all over........................

love the cool Deck you've got always enjoy seeing them wheels on it, hats off to you sir...........

^disagree with that dude theres quite a few places like this opening across the uk i just put my cv into a couple so fingers crossed n jimbob u should do it too as ur mapping skills are valuable. but i do agree that ur car is awesome dexter

Thanks for all the comments, sorry to hear about your father in law, jimbob. And good luck jay with your applications, hope you get selected! Yeah i'm pretty excited about the job, i'm learning so much every day, but it also makes it pretty exhausting as well having to pay extra attention all the time so i'll remember stuff the next time as well. On the personal side the lift is making my life so much easier now... no more time aching backs, from arch rolling for example:

IMG_1649.jpg

I had a friend give a helping hand, gave constant heat with a hot air gun and managed to roll both rear arches nicely without any paint chipping. Didn't have to do the fronts since i've got a camber kit installed. But now i can get the rear as low as i want without banging the 8.5" wide rear rims on metal. Afterwards slammed the front as low as it went and matched the rear height so this is as low as it'll go on H&R coils:

dexterkesalla.jpg

I think it looks pretty good, and it's still very driveable. No rub at all and no banging the bottom as long as i remember (and bother) to stay careful when going over curbs or speed bumps. Still, i'm planning on a MeisterR coil set for next summer, just to get the damping adjustability. I borrowed the roller from a friend, but after i told and showed my colleagues at work what i did after hours they said that's pretty cool, we need to buy one for the workshop! So the kids win as well :-D. So far most of them who have gone low have done just the classic paint chippin' baseball bat arch rolls so i think this'll make their life easier! One more photo, sorry about the bad quality but it was almost 10 in the evening and just had my phone with me:

dexterkesalla2.jpg

• Like 1