• 3 months later...

Right, needed to move it last week but battery had died and needed a jump... So jumped it, took it up the road n back, left it running for 5 minutes n switched it off... Then turned key half expecting it not to start but thought I would get an attempt from the battery but it was 100% dead flat again...

then a few days ago I moved it again, via jumping, and after it running for a bit it went straight dead flat again...

bearing in mind the battery was new a month or so before I put the deck off road... Do I need to just leave it running longer to get a charge or do I have something which is continually draining it??

my hawk central locking does have a led constantly flashing but didn't think that would be enough to trouble a brand new battery??

• Like 1

Possible I kind of have same issue with a new battery.

But first things first check the alternator is charging the battery. 

Check voltage with car running. Should see around 14v.

Least then you know if alternator is working

On 08/05/2016 at 11:31 PM, snakey135 said:

Right, needed to move it last week but battery had died and needed a jump... So jumped it, took it up the road n back, left it running for 5 minutes n switched it off... Then turned key half expecting it not to start but thought I would get an attempt from the battery but it was 100% dead flat again...

then a few days ago I moved it again, via jumping, and after it running for a bit it went straight dead flat again...

bearing in mind the battery was new a month or so before I put the deck off road... Do I need to just leave it running longer to get a charge or do I have something which is continually draining it??

my hawk central locking does have a led constantly flashing but didn't think that would be enough to trouble a brand new battery??

Believe it or not, the most probable cause of the battery drain is the interior clock. That coupled with the alarm system/imobiliser being armed will flatten the battery in time. If it's been drained flat, then you really do need to put it on a battery charger. Running the car also puts drain on the battery (power running the ecu, fuel injection system etc) aswell as charging it a little. So unlike the really old cars (before ecu's and the like came into play) driving it won't put that much charge back in to the battery mate. Best to charge it over night (think it's usually around 9 to 16hours?) so it's fully up to the mark. Bear in mind that a battery getting drained totally can sometimes b****r them up too :sad:

Hope this helps bud :wink:

Cheers @Dave ... Well it won't be back on the road for a few months still at least so am I best to just leave it flat until I'll be using it again or should I charge it up and then run it for 20 mins on idle every couple of days??

I too would recommend you trickle charge the battery asap.

Giving the car a good long run isn't advised ....... you could end up cooking the battery because of the massive input from a healthy alternator.

Fingers crossed your newish battery recovers :)

• Like 1

Ok cheers fellas, I'll take battery into work Monday n charge it up and then just leave it discon'd ... Trying to make a cup holder at the mo for the arm rest.. Why waste money eh hehe!! 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2016 at 5:09 PM, snakey135 said:

Ok cheers fellas, I'll take battery into work Monday n charge it up and then just leave it discon'd ... Trying to make a cup holder at the mo for the arm rest.. Why waste money eh hehe!! 

Cup Holder sounds interesting. Looking forward to it