1.8 Aerodeck from Finland (10 years of ownership)

Dexter

Dexter's track debut at Alastaro, Finland 25.7.2011:

Was a fun, bendy track with big safe zones. My max speed at the straight was 130km/h (about 80 mph). Easy to learn the correct lines, except the 2 last turns i never managed to get quite right.

I had some issues with my left hand side suspension. As you can see and hear from the video, all my left turns are fast with that nice tire squeal but when turning right i sometimes felt my front left corner giving in a bit. It felt like the tyre was wobbling under the pressure. You can notice that by me easing on the wheel on some of the harder turns. I know that the front left upper control arm is a bit worn, i don't know what's the correct word to describe it but there's some slack, if you know what i mean? My mechanic assured me it's safe for a track day but i'm going to get it fixed before next time. Hoping that it will fix the wobble issue. If not, then i'm dumping my 1000€ coil kit straight into the baltic sea!

did you have the track to yourself as well? no-one there to pile into the back of you...

Almost! 8-) It was the 10th anniversary trackday of a finnish japcar-forum, there were about 25 cars doing laps but usually only 5 cars at the track on the same time. Most of the time was spent cooling down, fixing and fine-tuning the cars. And when the track is 2700m long (about 1,7 miles), there's a good chance of not even seeing anyone during the couple of laps you take at a time. I was passed twice during the day, one was a Eunos roadster and the other a Impreza STI.

If you're interested about the hardware there's some more pics here: http://arosuzi.1g.fi/kuvat/Dyny+Alastaro+25.7.2011/

• 6 months later...

It's been a while but the deck is still alive and seen some upgrades as well. I needed new plugs in the fall and decided to upgrade. After some research and realizing that NGK Iridium plugs won't increase performance one bit on my car, i bought them anyway! Just wanted to upgrade a bit, and wasn't expensive.

Next i picked up a set of m-civic Recaro rails i stumbled upon on ebay. Got a good deal so i didn't want to miss it, since these don't come up too often. Don't have the seats yet, but it's always nice to know i've got something cool gathering dust in the closet...

Winter came and boy has it been cold and snowy! Since i was having starting issues last year (had a 4,5 year old Atlas) i decided to upgrade to a Optima Yellowtop. Wasn't the cheapest but the car starts almost before i even turn the key! The battery got a pretty good test when i went on holiday to the alps and got back a week later, 5th of Feb. to -25c weather. Here's a photo and a video of starting the car up the next day:

img1428kz.jpg

Since that it's been snowing and snowing... here's the deck on 20.2.

img1431ol.jpg

Took 22 minutes to dig it out! Plans for the next few weeks include replacing the fuel filter, installing a short shifter and bushes, and trying for the third time to get a front camber kit installed... let's hope it finally goes in! Got a TSS kit this time.